Outlook not opening up - how to transfer data to another computer RRS feed

• Question

• My copy of Outlook isnt opening up - it starts to open and then it seems to process forever but never quite gets there.     The start button on my PC has stopped working too and given that its an old PC, I have bought a new laptop and want to transfer over all my data.  I'm not concerned about bookmarks - but the folders and emails in Outlook are really important.    Will the fact that Outlook wont open up have anything bearing on being able to transfer the Outlook emails to another computer?

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 3:24 AM

Answers

All replies

• This depends on what email account you connecting to with Outlook and how that connection is made and with what settings.

So what email account are you connecting too? Do you know the settings are? What version or Outlook on old and on new?

As for Outlook not opening, if you right click start does that open? if so right click start choose Programs and Features, highlight Outlook or Office in the list, then click repair on the toolbar above.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/moving-outlook-to-a-new-computer/ might be good for read just to get an idea of what is involved in the transfer.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:42 PM added link
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:41 PM
  • I have only just bought a new laptop and am yet to get the latest version of Microsoft Office.

As for my PC, when I right click on the Start button it shows a number of programs.  When I right click on Programs and Features - nothing happens.   

Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:43 AM
  • Hi ennoh,

Have you got an Office product installed?

"when I right click on the Start button it shows a number of programs.  When I right click on Programs and Features - nothing happens"

Most of those apps in start menu are called Metro apps and they are different with the desktop apps. If there are no apps listed in the Programs and Features(only desktop apps are listed here), the present software installation may have been corrupted.

As for the Office product, we have a specific forum for you.
    Office forum
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=officeitpro

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:08 AM