Flash loading swf causes multiple GET on same file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a flash application that loads swf from a remote server, many of these swf's are duplicates and for some reason requesting them dost trigger a cache load but keeps sending out GET to the server.

This can be seen on fiddler and only happens on IE and only occurs in same session, refreshing the page loads everything from cache.

note that I cannot prevent the duplicate swf calls cause as2 dosnt allow me to duplicate loaded content, I need to be able to load them from cache after they are loaded the first time.

Any idea why this is not being pulled from cache?(I have tried delaying sequential requests to even a 1 sec no go...) 

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:18 AM

Answers

• Ok, figured out the cause of the issue, for some reason IE takes significantly longer to load swf files the FF&Chrome, for this reason the requests were getting sent out before the files actually get cached. I wonder why there is no mechanism to handle sequential requests.

Any way, waiting for the files to arrive before requesting them again triggers the cache
    • Marked as answer by MaorFrank Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:51 AM
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:51 AM

All replies

• keeps sending out GET to the server. 

Depending on your Cache-checking options it will always send a GET.   The difference should be whether it sends a check or just a plain request and then how the server interprets and reacts to each case.  

So, unless your Cache-checking is set to Never or the (mysterious) Automatically I think you should be describing what the responses to the GETs look like.   ; )

Is there some other symptom that you are seeing that is more significant for your problem description?

Also, unless your browser is IE8 you could use the Developer Tools, Network Capture tool and remove the Fiddler proxy from the problem scenario while still being able to see all the HTTP exchanges.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:59 PM
    Answerer
  • I think that separate DNS cache is weird and wanted to talk about it.   : P

It has become even more weird.   Have you seen  DNS-PREFETCH?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/99278f97-eb3f-422d-9baa-5b0f0fe09a50

Robert
    ---

Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:08 PM
    Answerer
  • If the one-and-same file exists (is linked from) different locations in that domain, then each would generate its own GET, I think.

Good point.  This may be about different servers hosting the same file.   Then they could have different Etags and hence perhaps cache-checking would not be done with the right server.   Or as you mentioned with a cached DNS lookup, not going to the right server.   Some details will help end our speculations.   ; } 
    Friday, May 17, 2013 2:19 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the quick reply guys!

Just to clarify, the swf all sit on the same domain, using the ie dev tools also shows the GET requests for the files.

I dont understand much about the inner workings for browsers but perhaps IE maintains some rule about same session request not to trigger cache??

Ill try and place a long delay between requests to see if it effects the   time-to-live value

Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:16 AM
  • It seems that delaying the requests for the files triggers them to load from the cache, but only time over 2 sec...

obviously i have no desire to make my app pause for every file request, is there a way to trigger faster cache on IE?? 

Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Correction, over 500 mili sec triggers a cache load, does anyone know where IE cache latency is documented???
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Ok, figured out the cause of the issue, for some reason IE takes significantly longer to load swf files the FF&Chrome, for this reason the requests were getting sent out before the files actually get cached. I wonder why there is no mechanism to handle sequential requests.

Any way, waiting for the files to arrive before requesting them again triggers the cache
    • Marked as answer by MaorFrank Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:51 AM
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 20, 2013 2:55 AM