none
Confused regarding registry-setting AutoCCNumberOfAttempts RRS feed

• Question

• Our secondary DPM (2012)-server often fails with "Inconsistent replica" for our PG protecting System State for lots of servers.

Reasons for this may vary including VSS-timeout and such on PS, but since a manual rerun w/ consistancy check succeds most of the time i'd like to increment the number of rerun attempts.

I've followed this article and configured dpm to perform two auto-healing attempts (autoccnumberofattempts) and 3 attempts to rerun failed jobs (autorerunnumberofattempts).

1. the article explains that Auto-CC is not going to be performed when another "job" is scheduled in 4 hours or sooner. what kind of jobs is this reffering to, any backup-job at all, another job in the current protectiongroup, or just a scheduled consistency check?

We're backing up all protectiongroups pretty much at the same time, do i have to put a window between al jobs, 4 hours long for this reghack to work?

also, if one only were to set AutoRerunNumberOfAttempts, leaving out AutoCCNum.. would the first setting still include autocc-job?

I'm asking since i've set up these settings along time ago but they don't seem to kick in. I've set AutoRerunDelay=0 today, but as i understand it the main problem is that additional scheduled jobs are being scheduled right after the problematic one

//confused

Ivarson

Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Auto-CC does not have the 4 hour window restriction, only the auto-rerun for failed sync or recovery point jobs.  What the below is stating is if you have Synchronization or recovery point frequency of 4 hours or less, then auto-rerun will not run, it will simply wait for the next scheduled time and try to perform the job.

<snip from the blog>
    Key Auto-rerun points
    1.) Delay for Auto-rerun is 1 hour by default.
    2.) Auto-rerun will not be attempted if another job is scheduled to run within 4 hours or for any Adhoc jobs.
    3.) The default number of retries is 1. Note that this can be changed via registry.
    4.) Auto-rerun will be triggered when the following alerts are raised:
    - Consolidation of recovery points of the replica failed.
    - Recovery point creation failed.
    c.) Synchronization failures.
    <snip>

AutoRerunNumberOfAttempts is for Synchronization and recovery point jobs only and does not effect CC.
    AutoCCNumberOfAttempts is for Consistency check jobs only.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Auto-CC does not have the 4 hour window restriction, only the auto-rerun for failed sync or recovery point jobs.  What the below is stating is if you have Synchronization or recovery point frequency of 4 hours or less, then auto-rerun will not run, it will simply wait for the next scheduled time and try to perform the job.

<snip from the blog>
    Key Auto-rerun points
    1.) Delay for Auto-rerun is 1 hour by default.
    2.) Auto-rerun will not be attempted if another job is scheduled to run within 4 hours or for any Adhoc jobs.
    3.) The default number of retries is 1. Note that this can be changed via registry.
    4.) Auto-rerun will be triggered when the following alerts are raised:
    - Consolidation of recovery points of the replica failed.
    - Recovery point creation failed.
    c.) Synchronization failures.
    <snip>

AutoRerunNumberOfAttempts is for Synchronization and recovery point jobs only and does not effect CC.
    AutoCCNumberOfAttempts is for Consistency check jobs only.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:09 AM
  • Thank you Mike!

"What the below is stating is if you have Synchronization or recovery point frequency of 4 hours or less, then auto-rerun will not run, it will simply wait for the next scheduled time and try to perform the job."

Ok, so if the failing job's associated PG is scheduled to sync/backup within 4 hours, no rerun will be made untill then, and it has nothing to do with other scheduled jobs other then the one failing. Makes sense. 

Ivarson

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:09 PM