Microsoft Update Windows XP SP3 starts "Checking for the latest updates...." but seems to run too long, (never stops). RRS feed

• Question

• Am in the process of restoring my old WinXP-vintage HP laptop to resolve accumulated OS problems.  I want to be able to use it as a uPNP/DLNA control point in a home theater system. I restored the original HP factory state using the HP restore disks, and used the MS XP SP2 update disk to successfully update to SP2.  Then downloaded and ran the WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe file to successfully install the SP3 update.  Was hoping that Windows Update or Microsoft Update would work now that the OS is up to XP SP3.  But not so.

At both sites, I am able to get it to offer me Express and Custom update searches.  In all cases, the process seems to run on and on, but never seems to complete with a list of updates for download and install.  I think I've let it run for perhaps a full hour with no apparent completion of the updates.  During this period, there do not appear to be any significant problems logged in the event viewer.

Any suggestions on what to do about this?

Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:04 PM

All replies