Flickering Desktop Icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am running Windows 7 and for several months now, at various intervals between 5 and 15 mins,  all of my desktop icons (about 30), turn white and then over the next two seconds or so, they all repopulate with the original colored icons This doesn't seem to affect any running programs or applications but I'd like to fix it.  I've Google'd and Bing'd the question but can't seem to find anyone else with the problem.

Thanks

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is seemed that the icon is refreshing the cache and reloading its picture from %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll. The time of the process will depend on your RAM and CPU usage. If you have a lot of icons to refresh at the same time, it will take some time as well.

You can update your display driver and perform Clean Boot to check the result.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is seemed that the icon is refreshing the cache and reloading its picture from %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll. The time of the process will depend on your RAM and CPU usage. If you have a lot of icons to refresh at the same time, it will take some time as well.

You can update your display driver and perform Clean Boot to check the result.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:57 AM
  • I too witnessed this behavior on a Dell Laptop.  The clean boot did make the problem go away, so I knew it was probably something being loaded at startup.  The way I found the culprit, was just opened task manager on normal boot, and patiently watched.  When the icons flickered, the CPU ticked up.  Then, looking at the processes, with the sort priority set for the CPU column, sure enough.  I spotted the process name at the top of the list when the flicker happened.  It was a sync program associated with an online cloud storage service.  Stopped that process, and voila...flicker gone.

Hope that helps someone out there.

• Proposed as answer by andyg_ahc Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:54 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:52 PM