Can't free up space on Drive C RRS feed

• Question

• I was recommended to post this question here, because the computer is on a Windows 2008 R2 domain.

The computer in question is an Asus laptop running Windows 7 Professional. It is about 4 years old. The hard drive is 60 GB, and only 1.25 GB are available. This is a fairly recent issue, going back maybe 6 weeks. The laptop is on a Windows 2008 Server domain. There are multiple user profiles. I've looked at the profile sizes and was able to delete the temporary internet files from the one that seemed to have the most. This was about 1 GB. I also cleaned up three other user accounts, but the space usage was negligible. It also seems small for the remaining user accounts. We have a group policy that is supposed to be deleting temporary internet files when IE is closed, so these files shouldn't be building up in the first place.

I downloaded WinDirStat, and the directory using most space is the WinSXS folder. It's taking up a huge amount of the space. However, I read on this site that this can be misleading, as most of what it contains are links. No other folder is taking up an unusual amount of space, however.

What does this mean, and how can I reclaim space?  I did notice there are many [namespace] entries in the WinSXS folder which have a user account name followed by a list all of the person's files that are stored on our file server. This includes links to video files stored on the file server. Is this normal?

Other things I've tried are deleting all but the most recent restore point, running a malware scan, and uninstalling unneeded programs. Most of the programs are the ones that came preinstalled when we purchased the laptop.

Thanks for any help. We are constantly getting "low space" warnings, and at times haven't had enough resources to print.

Monday, June 15, 2015 6:52 PM

Answers

All replies