Shared SIP address space / 365 migration question RRS feed

• Question

• We're a large edu in the early stages of deploying 365.  We have a Lync 2010 enterprise pool with 2 front ends and 2 edge servers, all 2010 and running a fairly recent CU.  

Our sip domain on-prem is subdomain.forest.edu, all users are homed here with SIP addresses of user@subdomain.forest.edu

Our 365 domain is simply forest.edu.

Our SRV records for 365 point forest.edu to sipdir.online.lync.com as per the wizard and SRV records for subdomain.forest.edu point to on-prem.

Right now the way we have things set up, the users homed in 365 basically treat subdomain.forest.edu like an external federated partner.  An on-prem user can add a 365 user to their contacts with user@forest.edu and a 365 user can add an on-prem user the same way.  Both show up as external users to the other.

I read about the ability to migrate users from on-prem to the cloud if you enable shared SIP address space in both your tenant and on prem, and then use a Lync 2013 admin tools equipped box to run the move commands.

My questions are:

* What is a shared sip namespace, REALLY?  I can't find this information anywhere.  Do the SIP domain from on-prem and in 365 have to be exactly the same?  It's very unclear whether subdomain / parent domain situations such as ours will work in this scenario.

* If they don't have to be the same, will the move operation work in the same way?  What are the requirements for the Lync 2013 admin tools box, network-wise?  It seems that it wants to talk directly in to the SQL server hosting the databases vs. going to the front ends because powershell reports an inability to connect to SQL server (obviously we don't have the ports open to the boxes I've tried from)

* I've read it's required when doing this to point the parent domain's SRV records to your on prem edge.  Then your edge server figures out where the user is homed.  That means our SRV records will have to be amended.  True?

* If I change the SIP domain name in on-prem to match the one in 365 and then change the SIP address for all the users, if the namespaces must be the same, then the shared namespace should work and I can move users appropriately?

Thanks!

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:13 AM

Answers

• You can make hybrid configuration between On-Prem and Online infrastructure.Shared address space will share the sip domain between Online and On-Prem.You can configure both the domain as shared address space or you can merge to single domain and make that as shared address space.Configurations details you can refer below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn689117.aspx

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/12/23/step-by-step-skype-for-business-2015-hybrid-configuration/

Mark As answer if this solved your Query.

Jayakumar K

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by jmferraiolo Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:14 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 6:20 AM

All replies

• You can make hybrid configuration between On-Prem and Online infrastructure.Shared address space will share the sip domain between Online and On-Prem.You can configure both the domain as shared address space or you can merge to single domain and make that as shared address space.Configurations details you can refer below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn689117.aspx

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/12/23/step-by-step-skype-for-business-2015-hybrid-configuration/

Mark As answer if this solved your Query.

Jayakumar K

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by jmferraiolo Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:14 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 6:20 AM
  • To further amend my original post in case it helps others -

The box the move-csuser commands are executed from must have network access to:

- Lync Front End servers

- SQL database back end for Lync (if different)

In my case I just had my network team open any/any from the box I was running the commands from to our front end servers and SQL server.

User permissions:

The user account executing the command must be a member of RTCUniversalUserAdmins in the on-prem Lync environment.

Must be a Skype service admin in 365 or GA.

SRV records:

I did not have to change our SRV records.  On premise lync SIP domain still points to where it always has; the SIP domain we have in 365 is different and SRV records here are configured straight to the recommended SRV records for 365 cloud homing.

The fact that our on-prem domain is a child domain (childdomain.university.edu) and our 365 domain is (university.edu) was not a problem and made no difference.  I did not have to align the domain names for the shared SIP namespace to take effect.

Thanks to Jayakumar for helping sort this out.

Friday, April 7, 2017 12:52 AM