none
How to recover Azure VM from DPM 2016 Backup (DPM 2016 installed as VM in azure) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Azure Infrastructure in UK South Region and i have deployed SCDPM 2016 VM in Azure for backup our SQL and VM workloads over Windows Server Datacenter R2.

I have successfully configured Backups at Database level and System State with Bare Metal Backups level.

I have restored the DB and data from Backups.

But have issues in restoring VM in Azure. I did not find any option and I am wanted to now that how i can Restore VM in Azure from DPM 2016 backups.

Please update me according to the DPM 2016 best practice

Friday, December 9, 2016 12:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

BMR backup cannot be restored to an azure based VM because there is no mechanism to boot into Windows recovery environment (Winre).

For DR of entire VM, you should use Azure Iaas VM backup.

Prepare your environment to back up Azure virtual machines

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 9, 2016 11:17 PM
  • I would assume this would be the same for Azure Backup Server since it is DPM light?
    Friday, January 13, 2017 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it does not matter how a bare metal recovery (BMR) backup was taken, A BMR backup cannot be used to recover an azure based virtual machine.  A BMR backup can be used to restore system state (Since it can be restored from the running VM) if that is all that is needed to fix a machine. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 13, 2017 9:31 PM