Mixed client environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I would like to know, what we can do in situation, when NAP will be used in LAN network (DHCP and compatible switches) and there will be not supported clients. For example *nix computers, or printers, etc.

How they get access to LAN network?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:58 AM

Answers

• Not sure, But I think you can create a "policies" under "Network Policies" for non-complaint machine.

And if your switch support VLAN, NAP server will automatically put your non compliant machine in to the non-compliant virtual LAN to access the network (but it depend upon your policy, how much privilege you have given to your non-compliant machine to access the network

Brijesh Kumar Shukla

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Martin,

There are multiple ways to overcome this. Probably the easiest is to create a policy on the network policy server (NPS) that either blocks or forces the non-supported clients on to a seperate VLAN or quarantine network. The other option is to use one of the many NAP partners in the ecosystem. Some of the NAP partners have built NAP agents for non Microsoft operating systems. There are also NAP partners who analyze the traffic type to gauge if a device is an IP Phone or a printer and based on policy for such devices, restrict or allow access.

Amith

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:11 PM
  • Not sure, But I think you can create a "policies" under "Network Policies" for non-complaint machine.

And if your switch support VLAN, NAP server will automatically put your non compliant machine in to the non-compliant virtual LAN to access the network (but it depend upon your policy, how much privilege you have given to your non-compliant machine to access the network

Brijesh Kumar Shukla

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:02 AM
  • >>There are also NAP partners who analyze the traffic type to gauge if a device is an IP Phone or a printer and based on policy for such devices, restrict or allow access.

Can somebody provide the exact partner details for the same. We are working for printer vendor

Thanks in advace,

Chand N

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:25 AM
  • Monday, August 6, 2007 10:57 AM