none
MDT Deployment

Question

• Hi;

I'm a newbie on MDT and WDS and trying to implement a sequence task for out of box experience for laptops.

I have a Windows 10 custom image, syspreped and capture it on MDT.

But, when i deploy it on MDT with Standard Client Install it deploys, but de client machine restarts and starts to configure the Windows.

I want is to deploy the image and shutdown client machine. Just like "OEM" machines…

Can anyone give some ideias how i can get this working?

Thursday, July 12, 2018 11:00 AM

All replies

• And the problem is...? :) The thing about MDT is that it usually goes through various phases with the OOBE phase in-between culminating in the State Restore phase which runs in FullOS. Once it is completed, you can configure the computer to shut down.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Friday, July 13, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hi;

Thanks for your response.

The problem is the waste of time...if i have a sysprep image, it takes about 14min to deploy...but the way MDT is working (with my configuration) take more 20min to install, and them i have to sysprep again the client machine.

The ideia is only to deploy the image and stop after MDT copy...if there is a way to do it..

Friday, July 13, 2018 2:05 PM
  • What you're trying to do wouldn't be possible unless you create a custom Task Sequence to deploy the image.

I guess what you could do is move the Post Apply Clean Up task into the Postinstall group task and instead of Restart, add the task to Shutdown instead, but I'm not sure if this will work as you intend it to.  On the next boot Windows will start but it wont run through the OOBE and ask the client no questions.  It'll configure Windows and then come to the desktop screen.

The issue is once the image is applied so is the unattend.xml file and I think somewhere in the unattend.xml file it tells the OS to skip OOBE, so you might want to dig in there too.

The whole point of MDT is deploying an image and the computer being ready for use.  I'm not sure why you would want to sysprep the image again after its deployed just to hand the customer a computer that needs to go through the OOBE.

Friday, July 13, 2018 3:13 PM
  • Technically it may be possible (I can think of a few ways in which this could be done). However, I am fairly certain this is not a supported scenario by Microsoft and is therefore I would not recommend it.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:20 AM