Transfering user accounts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, i need some tech advice. I have researched the internet for days without success. I will try to be specific but don’t hold your breath.

I have recently install Vista Business. At the time of installation i was unaware that this setup would automatically set up a Administrator Account. Therefore i made a secondary account (with admin credentials).  What i really need to know is it possible to transfer my second account into the already created Administrator Account thereby ending up with only one account on my computer.  As you can appreciate i have taken the time to setup the second account with Music, photos & document files, internet web accounts ect, and i don’t want to start all over again by deleting it and starting a fresh with the one account.  So i am wondering if there is away to transfer .  p.s just in case you need to know  i have a Dell Vostro 150 using windows Vista Business service pack 2.  Thanks

Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• I;m not sure if this will work but it might.  Close all open programs (until nothing shows in Task Manager). Go to Start / Computer / Druve C / Documents and Settings and find your user profile. Click on it to open it. Click on the first file or foler and then hold down the shift key and click on the last program to select everything. Then right click again and click copy. It will copy your profile information. Then go to the Administrator account and open it and click on paste. Tell it to overwrite if it asks that question. When it's done (if it works - I'm afraid you'll get a copy error along the way and this won't work but it might) go to Start / Control Panel / Users and change your account name to something else.  Then click on manage other accounts and rename the Administrator account to the name you were using as yours.  Then reboot and when you login select your user name and you should boot up into the Administrator account now under your name. All that remains is to remove the old renamed account and you're done (or at least change it to a normal user in case you want to save it in case something goes wrong).

Again, i'm not entirely certain this will work because it uses programs from your profile when you're logged in so it may not allow a full copy. To do it you may need to boot to the OS CD or Recovery Disk and go to a command prompt and do the copy and paste from there (though that will take much more time). Then reboot and follow the above steps from that point.

Don't delete your old profile or change it from administrator until you're sure everything works fine with the new one - you want to be able to get back to it if you need to (if things don't work out as planned).

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Hi Buzz3561,

I am not sure I did understand you correctly.
    You want to transfer one of the locals account into another one? Is it right?

You see; in Windows Vista Local Administrator Accont has been disable and during installation process new user account is assigned with Administrator rights. So, you created a second account with Admin rights and want to transfer all to first one.

I presume, you don't want to have two accounts with admin rights, right?

So, why don't you delate first one? Is it not simplier?
    Windows Vista created first account to give user abbilty to manage System but it doesn't mean it has to be enable all the time. It is normal account, which can be deleted ort modified.

I hope it helps to resove issue,

bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, Getronics UK
    • Proposed as answer by BArt IT Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:48 AM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:48 AM
  • You can't delete the system's created Administrator account - it won't let you do it.  You can rename it (so it can become your user account) but you can't delete it.  I'm not sure if you can modify it so it isn't accessable (as I used it and changed the name to what I wanted and now can't try to modify it because I don't want to mess up my user account).
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Hi Lorien,

Thanks of the advice i will give it a go and let you know how i get on.  Thanks Imbart, lorien is right. Sorry i didn't make it clear the vista account i am on about is the built in account. you can not delete this account.

thanks

Buzz
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:57 AM