none
how to convert a string value to date RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am new to powershell script, i was trying to store a Ad user password set date to a variable add, add a number of days to get the expire date.

but when i try to convert the variable to date value, I am getting the error as below.

Please help me......

PS C:\script> $passwordSetDate = (get-aduser user1 -properties * | select PasswordLastSet)
    PS C:\script> $passwordSetDate

PasswordLastSet
    ---------------
    7/15/2014 8:17:24 PM

PS C:\script> $a = [datetime]::ParseExact($passwordSetDate,"MM/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS", $null)
    Cannot find an overload for "ParseExact" and the argument count: "3".
    At line:1 char:1
    + $a = [datetime]::ParseExact($passwordSetDate,"MM/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS", $null)
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MethodCountCouldNotFindBest

PS C:\script> $a = [datetime]::ParseExact($passwordSetDate,"MM/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS", $null)

Monday, July 21, 2014 2:55 PM

Answers

• One simple way to return a DateTime as a formatted string is by using the -f operator. For example:

PS C:\> $passwordSetDate = get-aduser user1 -properties PasswordLastSet | select-object -expandproperty PasswordLastSet
    PS C:\> $passwordSetDate
    Monday, July 21, 2014 8:15:04 AM
    PS C:\> "{0:MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss}" -f $passwordSetDate
    07/21/2014 08:15:04

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by sarmakumar Monday, July 21, 2014 6:09 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 3:00 PM

All replies

• One simple way to return a DateTime as a formatted string is by using the -f operator. For example:

PS C:\> $passwordSetDate = get-aduser user1 -properties PasswordLastSet | select-object -expandproperty PasswordLastSet
    PS C:\> $passwordSetDate
    Monday, July 21, 2014 8:15:04 AM
    PS C:\> "{0:MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss}" -f $passwordSetDate
    07/21/2014 08:15:04

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by sarmakumar Monday, July 21, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Return only the datetime value using dotted notation.

$passwordSetDate = (Get-ADUser user1 -properties * | select PasswordLastSet).PasswordLastSet

To verify you have a datetime value, pipe the variable to Get-Member.

$passwordSetDate | Get-Member | Select-Object TypeName -Unique

• The simple answer may be this:

$passwordSetDate=(get-aduser user1 -properties PasswordLastSet).PasswordLastSet

Or this:

(get-aduser user1 -properties PasswordLastSet).PasswordLastSet.ToString('MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss')

Note that the formatter characters are case sensitive.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Monday, July 21, 2014 3:23 PM
    Monday, July 21, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Dear All,

I am new to powershell script, i was trying to store a Ad user password set date to a variable add, add a number of days to get the expire date.

but when i try to convert the variable to date value, I am getting the error as below.

Please help me......

PS C:\script> $passwordSetDate = (get-aduser user1 -properties * | select PasswordLastSet)
    PS C:\script> $passwordSetDate

PasswordLastSet
    ---------------
    7/15/2014 8:17:24 PM

Cannot find an overload for "ParseExact" and the argument count: "3".
    At line:1 char:1
    + $a = [datetime]::ParseExact($passwordSetDate,"MM/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS", $null)
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MethodCountCouldNotFindBest

In your post you ask how to convert a string value to a date.  The value returned from the Get-AdUser is already a date.  It does not need to be converted.

Bill has sshown one way to convert a date to a string and there are other methods.  You need to clarify your question.

If you are really trying ot convert strings to dates then you can start with this:

[datetime]'01/21/1965 13:33:23'

Most date strings aer autodetected by the class.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, July 21, 2014 3:37 PM