none
The specified file could not be decrypted RRS feed

• Question

• I backuped files on an external harddrive before formatting my computer. All went well and I was able to copy everything using robocopy. However some files have been "encrypted" (attributes, advanced, encrypt content to secure data) despite the fact that I never asked those files to be encrypted. It seems that it was done on completly random folders (my only clue is that it could be that some of those folders had mac files in them).

I'm now stuck and can't find a way to decrypt them since the certificate is linked to my previous computer.

Help please.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:05 PM

All replies

• this sounds like a mix of woopsie boopsie and ransomware.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

How did you encrypt folder?

Did you encrypt this folder on your previous computer?

According to your description, it seems that you encrypted this folder with Microsoft Encrypting File System. If you encrypted this folder with Microsoft Encrypting File System on your previous computer, please note: you’ll be able to access the encrypted folder only with the login of the account you encrypted the folder with. Other user accounts (if with administrative permissions) won’t be able to access it. Plug this hard drive into your previous computer, logon with the account you encrypted the folder with, decrypt again by right click the file and untick “Encrypt contents to secure data” in “Advanced” option.

If you use other third party software to encrypt your file, it is recommended to ask for help from the product support as they are more familiar with their product.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 26, 2018 2:51 AM