none
Boneheaded Question RRS feed

• Question

• MS Project 2010 Pro

I am new to Project but can see the incredible power/potential once I figure this program out--10 years from now?

Bonehead question:  Some of my tasks, duration 8hrs, are splitting themselves shown by the ellipsies--OR--have ellipsies before the task even begns.  To me, this is adding time when I want the project completed As Soon As Possible.

I have changed the Working Times for the resources to everyone working 7 days a week.

I have changed the Calender to a "24 Hour" Calendar in Project > Change Working Time

I changed the Project > Project Information > Calender to 24 Hours

(In spite of this, Sat and Sun are still colored as if non-working days in the Gantt and Calender Views.  I don't understand why that is but in View > Resource Sheet > [SelectedResource] > Change Working Time > Work Weeks > Details > I can make Sat and Sun working days without a problem.)

These tasks with ellipsies are on my critical path (bars are Red in color with the Critical Path box checked in Format > Critical Tasks.

All my tasks are set to "As Soon As Possible" under Task Information > Advanced > Constraint Type

Each task has a Predecesssor with a Finish To Start type relationship.

My Resources are not over allocated--nothing in red.

All tasks are Automatically Scheduled.

So my question is how to rid myself of this "wasted time" on my Critical Path with these tasks that want to start later than needed or split themselves just for fun?

I don't know if you can help me.  I know this is a boneheaded question, and I am trying to take a look at the Man in the Mirror as my favorite baby dangler, albeit deceased baby dangler, Micheal Jackson used to sing.  I am embarrassed to say that I just don't get it, I am doing something so wrong.

Tom

Sunday, May 13, 2012 11:33 PM

Answers

• Tom,

Lets take these one at a time...

Leading and trailing dots (ellipses): You can try changing the task type from Fixed Units to Fixed Duration (Task Information > Advanced > Task Type). Usually this fixes only trailing dots, but on occasions it will correct the leading ones that have no apprent reason for being.  You can do this individually or globally.

Unless everyone works seven days a week, it is probably best to place their actual availability on their calendar.

Unless you are actually working 24 hours a day, it is probably best to define and set an actual project calendar.

The reason your non-working time does not show up on the Gantt Chart is that you have selected the 24-hour calendar and by default the Gantt chart shows the Standard calendar's non-working time. To fix this, right-click in the Gantt chart area and select "Nonworking time". On the right, select the calendar you have set as the project calendar.

Most often the splits and ellipses (trailing or leading) are from resource leveling.

My best advice is to purchase a book on MS Project 2010 or take a class from a college or project management training provider. This will get you started down the right path for using this powerful, effective and sometimes frustrating tool.

Hope this helps...

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Often you can end up with the splits when you have two resources working on a task and you have periods where neither of them are working the task. AS Gregg mentioned this is sometimes caused by resource leveling but can also happen if there are calendar exceptions where nothing is being done on a task due to the working times of the resources.

Leading or trailing splits are the same thing but at the start or end of the task. In a usage view you can see this if the Task start is Day 1 but the Assignment Start is Day 4. There will be a 3 day ... at the front of task. Or if the assignment starts but the first 3 days are just zero work.

the other big cause of splits is actual work. If your resource works a task for 4 days but then doesnt work it at all for a week and then does 4 more days there will be a one week split in the task.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:31 AM
  • Hi Tom,

The reason why weekends are still shown as days off in the Gantt Chart is because of a small oddity in Project - you have to tell Project to use a different calendar for drawing. Double-click on the timescale and in the upcoming Timescale form cloick nonworking days; there select the project calendar you are using.

Best way I can help you is if you simply send me the file (jandemesATprom-ade.be). I' m sure I can explain everything - and you can learn a lot.

Greeings,

Monday, May 14, 2012 10:20 AM

All replies

• Tom,

Lets take these one at a time...

Leading and trailing dots (ellipses): You can try changing the task type from Fixed Units to Fixed Duration (Task Information > Advanced > Task Type). Usually this fixes only trailing dots, but on occasions it will correct the leading ones that have no apprent reason for being.  You can do this individually or globally.

Unless everyone works seven days a week, it is probably best to place their actual availability on their calendar.

Unless you are actually working 24 hours a day, it is probably best to define and set an actual project calendar.

The reason your non-working time does not show up on the Gantt Chart is that you have selected the 24-hour calendar and by default the Gantt chart shows the Standard calendar's non-working time. To fix this, right-click in the Gantt chart area and select "Nonworking time". On the right, select the calendar you have set as the project calendar.

Most often the splits and ellipses (trailing or leading) are from resource leveling.

My best advice is to purchase a book on MS Project 2010 or take a class from a college or project management training provider. This will get you started down the right path for using this powerful, effective and sometimes frustrating tool.

Hope this helps...

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Often you can end up with the splits when you have two resources working on a task and you have periods where neither of them are working the task. AS Gregg mentioned this is sometimes caused by resource leveling but can also happen if there are calendar exceptions where nothing is being done on a task due to the working times of the resources.

Leading or trailing splits are the same thing but at the start or end of the task. In a usage view you can see this if the Task start is Day 1 but the Assignment Start is Day 4. There will be a 3 day ... at the front of task. Or if the assignment starts but the first 3 days are just zero work.

the other big cause of splits is actual work. If your resource works a task for 4 days but then doesnt work it at all for a week and then does 4 more days there will be a one week split in the task.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:31 AM
  • Hi Tom,

The reason why weekends are still shown as days off in the Gantt Chart is because of a small oddity in Project - you have to tell Project to use a different calendar for drawing. Double-click on the timescale and in the upcoming Timescale form cloick nonworking days; there select the project calendar you are using.

Best way I can help you is if you simply send me the file (jandemesATprom-ade.be). I' m sure I can explain everything - and you can learn a lot.

Greeings,

Monday, May 14, 2012 10:20 AM