SFTLIST.EXE Causing high CPU Usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 running in a Hyper-V guest VM with RDS (terminal services) installed.  I installed the latest APP-V Version 4.6 Client (Version 4.6.0.20200) for RDS on the server.  All seems to be fine, until I get calls about poor performance causing users to hang with they are using RDP. 

Using Task Manager, I can see that SFTLIST.EXE *32 is using 50% or the processor.  Using Process Explorer, the offending module is SFTLIST.EXE:1020, (Microsoft Application Virtualization Client Service at PID: 1020).  The Start Address is MSVCR90.dll!_endthread+0x7d

I cannot kill the process and must resort to a shutdown, which hangs, forcing me to turn off the VM and restart it.  What is the best way to troubleshoot this problem?  Does anyone have any idea why the APP-V service is service is causing this?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may look at

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/appvclients/thread/ebe0ca8f-ce85-4046-b00a-3e6486b47c76

Do you have any malware protiection running on that machine?

Falko
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:00 PM
  • There is no AV or Malware protection on the server yet.

I was able to isolate this down to a malfunctioning APP-V package.  It seems when someone launched the APP-V version of Photostory, the service would just hang.  Then when others started the same program, it caused even more processor utilization and the server wouldn't allow anyone to logon.

I will try to resequence Photstory on Windows 7.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Hello,

Add LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED to the OSD and your problem is resolved. Will create a blog-post about this later...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2007/09/20/a-look-under-the-covers-the-local-interaction-allowed-tag.aspx

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, December 19, 2011 10:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Hello!

Sorry for bringing an old thread back but this is an issue we have right now. SFTLIST.EXE*32 is consuming around 50% on all our Citrix XenApp 6 (64-bit servers) with Windows 2008 R2 and App-V Client 4.6.

If we set App-V Client to permanent offline mode the problem dissappears after we have rebooted the servers.
    We have not tracked down an individual package/application which is causing the issue but we can reproduce it very often with SAP GUI 7.2. In that OSD-file local interaction is allowed.

We also used process explorer and tracked down the start adress: MSVCR90.dll!_endthread+0x7d

• Edited by Dennisp77 Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:18 PM