Slow and nonresponsive file explorer in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Within the past few weeks, file explorer has been running much more slowly than usual. When I try to select files to copy or move, file explorer will not respond for 30 seconds or more; then suddenly, it will cease the inactivity and respond. Sometimes I'm notified that it's not responding, but usually I simply have to wait.

What's going on?

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the following methods: 

1. Disable all third party services and application, then check the symptom in a clean boot environment. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows 

2. Run SFC /scannow command to scan the integrity of operating system files.

3. Run the system maintenance troubleshooter

a. On the taskbar, type control panel in the search box. Select Control Panel from the results.

b. On the View by menu, choose Large icons or Small icons.

c. Select Troubleshooting > View all > System Maintenance.

d. On the System Maintenance troubleshooter, select Next to start the troubleshooter and review the results.

You may refer to this article for more information: 

https://windowsreport.com/file-explorer-slow-windows-10/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything I can do for you?

If you have any problems or concerns, please feel free to post here. 

Best regards,

Yilia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:01 AM