Forefront CS hates my Visual Studio 2005 Apps RRS feed

• Question

• I am using VS2005 v8.0 to create both console and win form apps.  Unfortunately, when I try to run these apps, whether in Debug or the Release versions, two processes associated with FCS are totally eating my CPU.  (CPU at 80 - 100%, sometimes for as long as five minutes, whenever I try to run.)

The two culprits are:
    - msmpeng.exe: this is by far the worst.  It comes up every time I start one of my apps and locks up my PC for at least 30 seconds, sometimes over a minute.

- svchost.exe, thread wuaueng.dll: this info comes from sysinternals' Process Explorer.  This does not lock me up so often, but whenever it does, it locks me up for several minutes.  It always seems to either precede or follow msmpeng's locking of the CPU, so I assume they are related.  (Also, I believe it is part of Automatic Updates, so I figure this activity is the msmpeng spyware scanner updating its lists from ms.com).

Killing the msmpeng process provides immediate but not lasting relief - it always comes back, even if I have exited FCS in the system tray.  And when it comes back, it seems to run longer than if I just let it run, though this may be my imagination.

One recommendation I found on another site was to exclude folders of trusted exe files I run most often.  With that in mind, I submitted a list of such to my IT dept (since the FCS settings are locked out for me).  They obliged me by putting them into the exclusions list, but even though one of the folders is the root of all my VS projects, I continue to have this problem.  Obviously, because I must request FCS settings changes from my IT guys, adding the individual folders to the list every time I create a new project is not an option. 

Why is this process such a productivity-killer, and is there something else I can do to help my situation?

FWIW, I have a Dell laptop, 1.6GHz PentiumM with 2GB memory. I am running XP Pro, SP2.

Thank you,
    Doug
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:44 PM

Answers

• Ok - the problem was that the exclusions one IT guy put in, the other unknowingly took out.  Once I noticed this and had them re-create the exclusions, MsMpEng mostly leaves me alone.
    • Marked as answer by Douglas Hauck Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:31 PM

All replies

• You should probably try a process exclusion for your Visual Studio .exe's
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response) Check out my blog http://blogs.technet.com/kfalde
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Ok - the problem was that the exclusions one IT guy put in, the other unknowingly took out.  Once I noticed this and had them re-create the exclusions, MsMpEng mostly leaves me alone.
    • Marked as answer by Douglas Hauck Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:31 PM