none
please help me to open my external hard drive from bit locker RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I had set up password for my external hard drive before 1.5 year. i was using it fine till long period. last 10 days i didnt use it,

and then i tried to open it but it says incorrect password. also tried to recover by the recovery key but it says key doesnt match this drive. but i am sure i am using the correct password & the recovery key. also i checked the recovery key id is the same.

please help me to solve this.

thanks.

D.J Chaudhury

Saturday, August 6, 2016 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Which version of Windows is that you used to encrypt this external hard drive ?

If you are using Windows 10 version 1511 to encrypt it before, as far as I know, Windows 10 in version 1511 introduced a new encryption method: XTS-AES. That method is not understood by windows installations of vist/win7/8.x, not even by the 1st edition of win10 ("10240"). So to decrypt, you need a win10 installation (or setup disk, which would be sufficient) in version 1511.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:43 AM

All replies

• Has this drive been used in a different PC? Seen some posts where different versions of Windows and Windows 10 causing issues (such as this) with BitLocker.

So have you installed all updates for Windows 10 and tried again?

Saturday, August 6, 2016 6:28 PM
  • Hi ,

Which version of Windows is that you used to encrypt this external hard drive ?

If you are using Windows 10 version 1511 to encrypt it before, as far as I know, Windows 10 in version 1511 introduced a new encryption method: XTS-AES. That method is not understood by windows installations of vist/win7/8.x, not even by the 1st edition of win10 ("10240"). So to decrypt, you need a win10 installation (or setup disk, which would be sufficient) in version 1511.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:43 AM