none
Exchange not Receiving External Messages RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed SBS 2011 and external emails are not being received.  It appears that I have the appropriate Accepted Domains and Receive Connectors configured.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:09 PM

Answers

• Thanks everyone.  The problem is resolved.  It turns out that the alias was different from the username, and I was sending to username@domain.com, whereas the email address was set to alias@domain.com.

Thanks again.

• Edited by mervinw Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rowen-Xu Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• What happens when you try to send yourself an e-mail from Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail or the like?
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:15 PM
  • I receive an Delivery Status Notification indicating that delivery to the email recipient failed.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Yeah, it would be helpful if you posted the entire message.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I receive the following error message in response:

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.  Delivery to the following recipients failed."

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:32 PM
  • That is the complete message?
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Run test at testexchangeconnectivity.com inbound smtp and post full results.
    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Thanks everyone.  The problem is resolved.  It turns out that the alias was different from the username, and I was sending to username@domain.com, whereas the email address was set to alias@domain.com.

Thanks again.

• Edited by mervinw Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rowen-Xu Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Hey mervin,

Issues like this can easily be resolved by tracking the message, either at the email gateway or at the server level. Glad that it's resovled.

Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )
    Z-Term -- Automate IT account termination process ( AD / Exchange )
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:21 PM
  • I'm not an Exchange expert.  What tools do you use to track messages at the email gateway and the server?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:37 PM