Remote Desktop Services : missing MMC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If I compare with my W2K8 servers, Inside the Windows 2016, the MMC console dedicated fort Remote Desktop Services are missing, except for the TSE Licences.

Il already install and add rules about Remote Desktop Services (2 of 6).

And the TSE access are good.

How to download/install or declare them inside the Administrative Tools ?

Regards

Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

RD Session Host Configuration, RemoteApp Manager, RDS Manager, and other RDS tools were removed starting with Windows Server 2012.  It is intended for you to create an RDS deployment and then use Server Manager and/or the RDS Powershell cmdlets to manage Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop Services.

To create an RDS deployment you may use Server Manager -- Add roles and features -- RDS installation -- Quick/Standard -- Session-based -- etc.  Once complete you can use Server Manager -- RDS to configure and manage your deployment.

If you don't want to create an RDS deployment then you need to use a combination of command line utilities such as query user/tsdiscon/logoff/etc., group policy settings, Task Manager -- Users tab, and wmi commands to administer/configure the server. 

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, February 28, 2019 11:50 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2018 4:32 PM
  • Hello,

The RDS Deployment with Standard or Express command need to be linked with a Active Directory (AD) (Windows Domain).

I don't plan to build an infrastructure with AD.

How to bypass this issue ?

With Windows 2016, Is there a way to download/install separatly the missing Remote Desktop Services MMC ?

Regards,

If you don't create a RDS deployment because you don't need/want AD then you have to use the command line tools, Task Manager, etc., as I mentioned above.  Unfortunately the old tools were removed from Windows Server as of Server 2012.  There is no separate install since they were discontinued.

-TP

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:34 PM
  • But, I try, and it's not working : TSADMIN and TSCONFIG

What are the alternate tools available on Microsoft side to manage TSE sessions, outside a Active Directory ?

If Active Directory is mandatory to manage TSE sessions, I must know.

Hi,

If you want to use the RDS Server Manager GUI and the RDS powershell cmdlets then you must have a RDS deployment and that requires that the server be domain-joined.

The tools I mentioned above do not require active directory to work.  Below is incomplete list:

• Task Manager - Users tab
    • Logoff
    • TSdiscon
    • Query user
    • Query session

Some people only have simple requirements and choose to have a standalone server that is not domain-joined.  For example, all they need is to have up to 10 people connect and get a full desktop.  In this basic example they are fine with using Task Manager -- Users tab to disconnect/logoff users and local group policy to configure certain options such as licensing mode/server name, block drive redirection, etc.

If you have more than basic needs then an RDS deployment with Active Directory is required.

-TP

Friday, December 21, 2018 1:42 PM

All replies

• hi,
    do you want to install this tool on server 2016 or on win10?
    Remote Server Administration Tools
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-server-administration-tools

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 14, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 17, 2018 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

The goal is to display or install the Remote Desktop Services MMC on a Windows 2016 Datacenter Server.

For the moment, we don't want to do it on Windows 10 (maybe later).

Regards,

Monday, December 17, 2018 4:10 PM
  • Hi,

RD Session Host Configuration, RemoteApp Manager, RDS Manager, and other RDS tools were removed starting with Windows Server 2012.  It is intended for you to create an RDS deployment and then use Server Manager and/or the RDS Powershell cmdlets to manage Windows Server 2016 Remote Desktop Services.

To create an RDS deployment you may use Server Manager -- Add roles and features -- RDS installation -- Quick/Standard -- Session-based -- etc.  Once complete you can use Server Manager -- RDS to configure and manage your deployment.

If you don't want to create an RDS deployment then you need to use a combination of command line utilities such as query user/tsdiscon/logoff/etc., group policy settings, Task Manager -- Users tab, and wmi commands to administer/configure the server. 

-TP

Monday, December 17, 2018 4:32 PM
  • hi,
    we can refer this document :
    Management (how to) changes for RDS in Windows Server 2012 and 2012R2
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20684.management-how-to-changes-for-rds-in-windows-server-2012-and-2012r2.aspx

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 2:09 PM
  • Hello,

The RDS Deployment with Standard or Express command need to be linked with a Active Directory (AD) (Windows Domain).

With Windows 2016, Is there a way to download/install separatly the missing Remote Desktop Services MMC ?

Regards,

• Edited by Cerkyr Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:24 AM
  • Hello,

Regards,

If you don't create a RDS deployment because you don't need/want AD then you have to use the command line tools, Task Manager, etc., as I mentioned above.  Unfortunately the old tools were removed from Windows Server as of Server 2012.  There is no separate install since they were discontinued.

-TP

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:34 PM
  • HI
    There are some powershell command for your reference
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/remotedesktop/?view=win10-ps

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:25 AM
  • Inside PowerShell, runas Administrator :

Query session /server:<YOUR_SERVER_NAME>

ACCESS REFUSED

---

Do I need to sign the usage of PowerShell ?

The goal is to allow all the PowerShell commands for the accounts inside the Local Administrator group. (it's a question)

---------------------

Specifies the new execution policy. The acceptable values for this parameter are:

• Restricted. Does not load configuration files or run scripts. Restricted is the default execution policy.
    • AllSigned. Requires that all scripts and configuration files be signed by a trusted publisher, including scripts that you write on the local computer.
    • RemoteSigned. Requires that all scripts and configuration files downloaded from the Internet be signed by a trusted publisher.
    • Unrestricted. Loads all configuration files and runs all scripts. If you run an unsigned script that was downloaded from the Internet, you are prompted for permission before it runs.
    • Bypass. Nothing is blocked and there are no warnings or prompts.
    • Undefined. Removes the currently assigned execution policy from the current scope. This parameter will not remove an execution policy that is set in a Group Policy scope.

--------------------------------

• Edited by Cerkyr Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:14 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:52 PM
  • CHECKS :

https://digitalbamboo.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/tsconfig-and-tsadmin-do-work-in-server-2012-and-2016/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/1e283abc-a0d5-480c-8fca-814bf912bddf/where-are-tsadminmsc-and-tsconfigmsc?forum=winserver8gen

https://www.lemonbits.com/2018/06/12/remote-desktop-services-manager-2016/

You could manually copy over and use the old tools, but please keep in mind it is unsupported and against the licensing agreement.  Also the old tools have no awareness of the changes that have been made over the years.

-TP

Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:58 PM

What are the alternate tools available on Microsoft side to manage TSE sessions, outside a Active Directory ?

• Edited by Cerkyr Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:22 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:21 PM

Hi,

If you want to use the RDS Server Manager GUI and the RDS powershell cmdlets then you must have a RDS deployment and that requires that the server be domain-joined.

The tools I mentioned above do not require active directory to work.  Below is incomplete list:

• Task Manager - Users tab
    • Logoff
    • TSdiscon
    • Query user
    • Query session

Some people only have simple requirements and choose to have a standalone server that is not domain-joined.  For example, all they need is to have up to 10 people connect and get a full desktop.  In this basic example they are fine with using Task Manager -- Users tab to disconnect/logoff users and local group policy to configure certain options such as licensing mode/server name, block drive redirection, etc.

If you have more than basic needs then an RDS deployment with Active Directory is required.

-TP

Friday, December 21, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

Monday, December 31, 2018 10:15 AM
  • Hello,

Use Task Manager to manage the RDS is not enough.

We need, as in the past, the MMC (like W2K8).

Regards,

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 4:11 PM