none
Project 2010 - project cannot be opened in read / write because a previous check-in is not complete RRS feed

• Question

• I have read through all of the similar issues related to projects being "stuck" and they have been helpful but we have still not resolved our issue for the long term or figured out the root cause and our issue might have a slight nuance? ....so I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light becaue the project managers are really losing patience with this issue?    I am wondering if the project managers are doing somethign OR doing steps in wrong sequence which may contribute to problem?  Any and all suggestions or tips would be most appreciated!!!!!

Environment

• All projects are stored within project server 2010 and accessed via PWA or Project Professional (no one storing files locally) - when updates are needed the project is opened from Project Pro 2010, checked out.

Issue:

• Project Mgr opens his/her project plan in Proj Pro 2010; edits the plan and then closes the plan / checks it back in.
    • Two days later the Proj mgr opens the same plan and gets message  "project cannot be opened in read / write becuae previous checkin is not complete"
    • Admin goes to the Server Settings| Force Check-in via PWA - project is not listed as being checked out?
    • Admin goes into Proj Pro 2010 (from her desk) and does File:Open: Retrieve List of Projects.......the project list comes back and the project plan is not indicated as being checked out (checkout column is blank)?
    • Admin has Proj Mgr open Project Pro 2010 (from his desk) and do File: Open: Retrive List of Projects.......the list comes back and the project plan is indicated as being checked out and has the proj mgr name in the chkout column?
    • Many of the managers are complaining of working on their project plan one day and then the next day the project is 'stuck'.   When admin checks the project is NOT listed in the  Force Check-In list on PWA?    The mgr ends up having to re-boot  or clear out the cache to get the project to open?

What we have done to date?

We have lowered their cache size limits to 50 on each PC

We have taught them to clear their cache on a regular basis

Questions

1. I can see that this may happen from time to time but it is happening on a regular basis to multiple managers?  Is there a proper sequence to closing out the projects?
    2. Should they maybe NOT leave the projects checked out over night?
    3. Some managers leave their PCs on overnight so they can remote into PC from home........do they need to re-boot everyday?

Thanks for your help!

KMillerIC

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:05 PM

Answers

• KMillsIC --

To answer your questions:

1.  Yes, there is a proper sequence for closing a project, but the sequence is not obvious at all.  Prior to closing the project, the PM should save (and publish, if needed) the project one final time.  Then he/she should click File > Close and then the Yes button in the dialog to check-in the project.  Then the PM should pause before closing the Microsoft Project application to allow the Project Server system to check-in the enterprise project and to allow Microsoft Project to check-in the project in the Local Cache.  The length of the pause depends largely on the speed of your corporate network.  For example, at a client site where I recently taught our Managing Enterprise Projects class, my students discovered that they needed to wait approximately 10 seconds for the check-in operations to complete.  If the PM closes Microsoft Project immediately, instead of waiting, this is what can cause the enterprise project to get stuck in a checked-out condition in the Local Cache.  If the PM is not sure whether the check-in operation is complete, he/she can click File > Open and look for a Check-In Pending message in the Checked Out column.  When the check-in is complete, the PM can click File > Close to close Microsoft Project.  Where most PMs get into trouble is by clicking the Close button (big red X) in the upper right corner of Microsoft Project to close both the enterprise project and the application in a single operation, which does not allow the time needed for the enterprise project to get checked-in in the Local Cache.

2.  I see no sense leaving projects checked out over night.  Following the advice in #1 above should eliminate most of the problems.

3.  I have no advice on this question.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:54 PM

All replies

• KMillerIC,

Although you may get an answer in this forum, you will probably have better luck posting to the Project Server forum at, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectserver2010general. This forum is dedicated to questions/issues having to do with the stand alone installations of Project.

John

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 2:44 AM
  • You say the PM edits the plan. When they check it in, I would check the queue.

Go to Server Settings -> Manage Queue Jobs. If it fails it will automatically appear in the Jobs Grid. If it completes you won't see it until you expand the Job Completion States and move the Completed across to the right box.

But in answer to your direct questions.

1. Yes. When you close an edit a project it asks you 2 questions - whether you want to save changes and whether you want to Check In. You should be doing both if you want to do both.

2. I don't see this being an issue but I also don't see the point in keeping them checked out (unless you don't want anyone else changing them whilst you are working on them).

3. This hasn't caused any problems in my organisation.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 12:39 PM
  • KMillsIC --

To answer your questions:

1.  Yes, there is a proper sequence for closing a project, but the sequence is not obvious at all.  Prior to closing the project, the PM should save (and publish, if needed) the project one final time.  Then he/she should click File > Close and then the Yes button in the dialog to check-in the project.  Then the PM should pause before closing the Microsoft Project application to allow the Project Server system to check-in the enterprise project and to allow Microsoft Project to check-in the project in the Local Cache.  The length of the pause depends largely on the speed of your corporate network.  For example, at a client site where I recently taught our Managing Enterprise Projects class, my students discovered that they needed to wait approximately 10 seconds for the check-in operations to complete.  If the PM closes Microsoft Project immediately, instead of waiting, this is what can cause the enterprise project to get stuck in a checked-out condition in the Local Cache.  If the PM is not sure whether the check-in operation is complete, he/she can click File > Open and look for a Check-In Pending message in the Checked Out column.  When the check-in is complete, the PM can click File > Close to close Microsoft Project.  Where most PMs get into trouble is by clicking the Close button (big red X) in the upper right corner of Microsoft Project to close both the enterprise project and the application in a single operation, which does not allow the time needed for the enterprise project to get checked-in in the Local Cache.

2.  I see no sense leaving projects checked out over night.  Following the advice in #1 above should eliminate most of the problems.

3.  I have no advice on this question.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Thank You John, Lokolo, and Dale for the great and detailed info!  I do believe the mgrs will benefit from the specific sequence of closing projects and checking out!

I will review and implement the above suggestions and will post a follow-up as to whether or not the problem has fully been resolved.

I am closing for now!

KMillerIC

Thursday, July 5, 2012 4:36 PM