none
Task BCWS/P without Resource RRS feed

• Question

• In MSP 2010, I'm trying to create a view that shows only the atomic (i.e., non-summary) task id, task name, and time-phased BCWS and BCWP. The problem I'm having is that whenever I display the tasks, the associated resources are also listed below each task. So, the time-phased data on the right-side panel has duplicate entries: one for the task, the other for the resource. The resource data can be removed by using Hide Subtasks, but when I do so, I not only remove the resource data but also some of task data. The total is off by millions of dollars, so it's not a trivial loss. I can manually collapse each task and thereby remove the resource data, but with thousands of tasks in the schedule, this is not feasible. Does anyone know how to create the view I need?

PS A similar question was asked a couple of years ago, but the ideas presented then haven't worked for me. Here is the reference: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/67a3d12f-6ac3-4b4a-94bc-b38ab39f8a2a/project-2010-button-in-ms-project-professional-show-assignments?forum=projectserver2010general .

RobVV

Friday, July 18, 2014 4:41 PM

Answers

• RobVV,

Yes, using Hide Subtasks will hide the subtasks from the view, but the cost and work totals at summary levels will not be changed, so I still don't understand how you believe you are missing millions of dollars. Personally I'd suspect your accountant, he looks a little shifty eyed!

I provided a macro that will hide all assignment data and Julie came up with an even easier method using a filter, so what are we missing?

As far as demonstrating that subtasks are not shown via the copy and paste to Excel, that doesn't show anything unusual. When you copy and paste something, the copy operates on the information visible in the current view. If subtasks are visible, they will be copied and if subtasks are not visible they will not be copied, so what you saw as far as the total task count in Excel is exactly what I would expect.

Obviously we're not on the same page. I'm still trying to understand the issue. If you want to send me your file, I'll be happy to look at it, but I'll need a clear concise description of the issue. Also if your file, when zipped, is larger than 2M, don't send it, my e-mail server has file size limits.

My address is below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

• Proposed as answer by RobVVV Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RobVV Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by RobVV Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:09 PM
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:17 PM
  • You can create a filter for the Task Usage view. [Assignment] equals No to quickly hide all assignment lines.  Filtering should not have any effect on cost data.
    • Marked as answer by RobVV Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:08 PM
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:33 PM

All replies

• The resource data can be removed by using Hide Subtasks, but when I do so, I not only remove the resource data but also some of task data.

Hi Rob, 

What do you mean by saying that it removes also some of task data? Which data are you talking about?

Thanks to provide us more details so we can help you.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, July 18, 2014 6:07 PM
  • Thank you, Guillaume. Hide Subtasks not only removes the displayed resources, it also hides tasks that are subtasks. Here's how I arrived at that conclusion: I created a view that displayed Task ID, Task Name and the BCWS for all periods in the schedule. I selected the Task Name column and copied/pasted it into Excel. I had previously prefixed all task names with the word, "Task", and all resource names with the word, "Resource", so I was able to then sort the file and delete the resource names. That left a total of 1,623 tasks. I then applied the Hide Subtask command, copied/pasted the result into another xls and counted the number of tasks: 1,517. I concluded that some subtasks were being suppressed by the Hide Subtask command.

If it will help, I can compare the two files and identify the specific tasks that have been suppressed.

RobVV

Friday, July 18, 2014 9:04 PM
  • RobVV,

Pardon me for bumping in but I'm having trouble understanding the supposed "loss" of several millions of dollars from the total. Expanding or collapsing the Project hierarchy does NOT change the totals displayed at summary level, it simply shows or hides certain detail data below the summary. What exactly are you doing?

I understand the "duplication" of data you will see if you copy and paste the Task Usage view from Project to Excel, so obviously copy and paste isn't the best method to use if you need the data in Excel. When viewed in Project, there is no duplication of data, rather the data is correctly broken out by level (i.e. task and assignment).

As far as being able to collapse only the assignment rows of the Task Usage view, the following macro should do that for you.

Sub autocollapseTUV()
    Dim t As Task
    For Each t In ActiveProject.Tasks
        If Not t.Summary And t.ResourceNames <> ""Then
            SelectTaskField row:=t.ID, Column:="name", rowrelative:=False
            OutlineHideSubTasks
        End If
    Next t
    End Sub

If this answers your question, please mark it as the answer.

John

Saturday, July 19, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Thanks, John. No problem with you bumping in. I know your expertise from previous quotes. This time, however, I must disagree with your analysis. When I use Hide Subtasks, many tasks seem to disappear. I believe I have substantiated this and can send you the files. If it will help, I can send you the mpp, as I've scrubbed identifying info from it.

RobVV

Saturday, July 19, 2014 4:36 PM
  • You can create a filter for the Task Usage view. [Assignment] equals No to quickly hide all assignment lines.  Filtering should not have any effect on cost data.
    • Marked as answer by RobVV Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:08 PM
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 7:33 PM
  • RobVV,

Yes, using Hide Subtasks will hide the subtasks from the view, but the cost and work totals at summary levels will not be changed, so I still don't understand how you believe you are missing millions of dollars. Personally I'd suspect your accountant, he looks a little shifty eyed!

I provided a macro that will hide all assignment data and Julie came up with an even easier method using a filter, so what are we missing?

As far as demonstrating that subtasks are not shown via the copy and paste to Excel, that doesn't show anything unusual. When you copy and paste something, the copy operates on the information visible in the current view. If subtasks are visible, they will be copied and if subtasks are not visible they will not be copied, so what you saw as far as the total task count in Excel is exactly what I would expect.

Obviously we're not on the same page. I'm still trying to understand the issue. If you want to send me your file, I'll be happy to look at it, but I'll need a clear concise description of the issue. Also if your file, when zipped, is larger than 2M, don't send it, my e-mail server has file size limits.

My address is below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

• Proposed as answer by RobVVV Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RobVV Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by RobVV Saturday, July 19, 2014 10:09 PM
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Thank you, John and Julie. Both of your solutions work. In my current situation, I'm unable to use a macro, so I'll use Julie's approach. I've created a filter as suggested, and it suppresses the Resources while leaving all sub tasks intact.

For clarification, I used Excel only to confirm that there was a problem and to identify the tasks that were dropped. The problem is visible in MSP natively, but because the schedule has a couple thousand lines, it was difficult seeing where the missing tasks were located.

John, I've compressed the file and will send you a copy. I'd be happy to provide anyone else with one, if you're interested. Just leave me an email address.

To see the problem, here are the steps. On the open file, apply the Atomic EV view (if it is not already applied). Scroll down to task 1640. Note that tasks 1642-8 and 1650-55 are visible. Next, apply the @NoSummary filter. This removes the summary tasks, as the name indicates. If you scroll down again, you'll see that the target tasks are still visible. Now, select the Name column and apply Outline\Hide Subtasks. The Resource assignments are removed, tasks 1640 and 1655 are still visible, but the intervening tasks, 1642-8 and 1650-54 are invisible.

If you reset the schedule and apply Julie's filter (@NoSummaryNoAssignments), the Resources are gone and the target tasks are still visible.

This solves the problem posted a couple of years ago and referenced in my original post. I'll see if I can cross reference that one to this one to help out in the future.

Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:54 PM
  • I am intrigued. Send me one too. trevorATperfectproject.com.au
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:53 PM
  • For those who are following this thread,

Rob did send me his file and I analyzed it. I found the issue and indeed it is interesting so I'm sharing it with the Project community.

The following simple file demonstrates the issue in Project 2010. I assume it will do the same in Project 2013 but I don't have that version so someone else will have to verify whether Project 2013 has the same issue. To show the issue, create the file shown (screenshot is the Task Usage view in case there is any doubt). Create and apply a filter to filter out summary lines. Then select the Task Name field (to select all tasks) and go to View/data group/Outline drop-down and select "Hide subtasks". The only task you will see is Task e but you should see all subtasks (b, c and e). Glitch? Yeah maybe but read further below.

Now the backstory. Project 2007 has a couple of "hide" functions. One is "Hide subtasks" (same as in Project 2010), and the other is "Hide assignments" (not available in Project 2010, don't ask me why). If the above file is opened in Project 2007 and the same process used, (i.e. filter out summary lines, select all tasks and then hit "hide subtasks"), the result will be the same (i.e. only subtask e will show). However, if instead the "Hide assignments" feature is used, all subtasks, (b,c and e), will appear as expected.

Why does this issue occur? Note that task c has no assignments. If a resource is assigned to task c and the above process is used, all subtasks, (b,c and e), appear as expected. For some reason, if a single subtask in a group of subtasks does not have an assignment, then using "hide subtasks" will not only hide assignments but will also hide all subtasks that are part of the parent summary task.

I will forward this to Microsoft personnel and let them decide if it is worth fixing. In my mind, this isn't a major issue and Julie provided a viable workaround earlier in this thread, so I would be surprised if this gets fixed in an an update.

John

Monday, July 21, 2014 12:40 AM
  • To those who may be following this thread,

I did contact Microsoft about this issue and it turns out that the "Hide subtasks" function will not work as expected given the scenario presented above with any version of Project way back to Project 2003. With Project 2007 and earlier, the user can utilize "Hide Assignments" to achieve the desired result. Unfortunately, starting with Project 2010, the "Hide Assignments" function is no longer available. However the simple workaround presented by Julie earlier in this thread is the solution. This issue may be fixed in a future update but since it is a very low impact the likelihood is remote.

John

Monday, August 4, 2014 5:10 PM