how to find the previuos database of the user mailbox in exchange 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Experts,

How to find the previous database of the mailbox of the particular user?

Currently the mailbox is on the new database but i wanted to know the previous mailbox of the user on which it resided.....

Another way hw to get the list of previous databases on which the mailbox was residing.

Regards,

Manju

Manju Gowda

Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Exchange 2007 writes all mailbox moves to the Application Log, so you might be able to get that information from there. The Event Source to look for is "Exchange Migration"

See: Exchange Move Mailbox logon info

Martina Miskovic

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Hi Martina,

The mailbox has been moved long back from its original MB Database to another Db....in the year 2010

but now i need to restore the mailbox from that years backup so i need to know the name of that old mailbox database.

Regards,

Manju

Manju Gowda

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:29 AM
  • Hi Manju,
    I understand the challenge you have in front of you now, but I am sorry to say that Exchange 2007 doesn't store that information anywhere.
    The answer would have been different if you were on Exchange 2010, but your are not so...

Martina Miskovic

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:00 AM
  • On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:00:11 +0000, Martina_Miskovic wrote:

>Hi Manju, I understand the challenge you have in front of you now, but I am sorry to say that Exchange 2007 doesn't store that information anywhere. The answer would have been different if you were on Exchange 2010, but your are not so...

If the original servers were Exchange 2007 and they're still in
    operation there may be information in this directory on each of them:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Logging\MigrationLogs

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Proposed as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:17 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Hi Manju,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Dear Rich\Frank

The difficulty here for searching the Log is again leads to nowhere...

Coz, if you would have done a move of the mailbox on a desktop machine using EMC\EMS- the logs would be stored under the desktop's location(Again the same path)

So its really very difficult...and if the logs are got purged....we are helpless..!!! :(

Regards,

Manju

Manju Gowda

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:41 AM