Storage Replica - Streched Hyper-V Cluster with two Nodes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!

We want to build a two node streched Hyper-V cluster with  two nodes and local (!!!) SAS disks.

Each server has a P440 HP controller with 2 SSDs and 4 SAS disks configured as RAID1 and RAID5. The cmdlet Test-SRTopology finishes without error but when creating the cluster the disks stay offline.

We are unable to bring up the local disks.

If we use "host only" ISCSI disks from a iSCSI Target (e.g.  from each the local host) the Setup finishes and the cluster is up-and-running.

Is it possible to use Host-only-SAS disks in Streched-Hyper-V-Cluster Szenarios? Or is there a registry key enabling the usage of Host-only-SAS in clustered environments? I think this might be a typical workload...

Any help appreciated,

Greetings,

Oliver

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:33 PM

Answers

• The disks must be cluster compatible to be able to create a stretched cluster with Storage Replica.  Meaning, that a Physical Disk resource must be created, which can come online and manage the disks.  This is used in orchestration in node failover.

Now, a disk can be clustered if it is visible to only one node.  If you run the Validate tool (or Test-Cluster), it will give you information in why the disks are no compatible with clustering.  In your case, I suspect the RAID controller.  If you presented the disks directly via a pass-through HBA, that should work.

Thanks!
    Elden

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:39 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 12:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Oliver,

Are you using the latest TP4 version?

>>Is it possible to use Host-only-SAS disks in Streched-Hyper-V-Cluster Szenarios? Or is there a registry key enabling the usage of Host-only-SAS in clustered environments?

I'm afraid I could not find any official document about it.

Considering it is only a preview version, some applications and devices may not work properly.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Using an ISCSI disk the SR Streched Cluster is working. So, from my piont of view, if I use local SAS disks the SR Cluster should work. But the Standard HP RAID Controller is not recognized for SR Cluster (like vhds in virtual Environments)

It is a bug?

S2D is not an Option because the Need of four (!!!) Servers.

Backgroup: This is a use case for SMB Environments  ---> should they move into azure?

Greetings Oliver

Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:21 AM
  • The disks must be cluster compatible to be able to create a stretched cluster with Storage Replica.  Meaning, that a Physical Disk resource must be created, which can come online and manage the disks.  This is used in orchestration in node failover.

Now, a disk can be clustered if it is visible to only one node.  If you run the Validate tool (or Test-Cluster), it will give you information in why the disks are no compatible with clustering.  In your case, I suspect the RAID controller.  If you presented the disks directly via a pass-through HBA, that should work.

Thanks!
    Elden

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:39 AM
    Sunday, January 31, 2016 12:54 AM