Public Folder Corruption - Security Principle already specified on permisison set RRS feed

• Question

• When attempting to get, add, or remove permissions on a Public Folder in our Exchange 2013 server I get the following error.

"the security principal specified is already on the permission set" along with a CorruptDataException.

ideas on how to fix this issue?

Wayne Riddle

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:03 AM

All replies

• https://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/principal.html

Please describe the exact steps you are following and what you're trying to achieve.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 6:36 AM
  • If I run a command such as this:

Add-PublicFolderClientPermission -Identity "\My Public Folder" -User Chris -AccessRights CreateItems

I get the error message of "The security principal specified is already on the permission set" (CorruptDataException)I also get this error message on this public folder just trying to view the permissions:

Get-PublicFolderClientPermission "\My Public Folder"

This is only happening on only a few Public Folders in our system, not all.

And yes the error message says principal

Wayne Riddle

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 2:30 PM
  • Forgot to add I get the same error running this command:

Remove-PublicFolderClientPermission

So on the Public Folder in question I can't view, add, or remove permissions.

Wayne Riddle

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 2:48 PM
  • Have you considered recreating the public folder, copying the content and deleting the old one?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 5:33 PM
  • Yes, but given the large amount of information involved I was looking for a way to fix this first. I've actually found about 5 out of 25 of our Public Folders have this issue.

Wayne Riddle

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 7:06 PM
  • Please have a look on below given earlier discussed threads having suggested solution by experts that might helps you:

Security principal specified is already on the permission set error message

Get-MailboxFolderPermission : The security principal specified is already on the permission set

Exchange 2013 Public Folders Permissions Corruption:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/353ab73f-757d-474b-bad3-83302bf89a35/exchange-2013-public-folders-permissions-corruption?forum=exchangesvrsharingcollab

Cloud migration can be a tedious task without the right solution. Lepide Meteor suite has all you need to analyze/upgrade/migrate your current Exchange environment to Office 365 and also helps you migrate any legacy File Servers, SharePoint and Public Folders to SharePoint, Office 365 or OneDrive as required.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 4:43 AM