Windows 7 Blue Screen (Caused by Addres: ntoskrnl.exe+70600) RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

I've been running Windows 7 on my Dell Studio XPS 16 notebook since the day I got it and it has ran really well, with the exception of random blue screens all with the same address cause.  I don't use virus software, have all current and approved drivers, and have no other issues.  The only time I notice the blue screen happening is when I switch to Firefox browser and click a link in the browser window, seems strange but that is when I notice it. Here is the report from Blue Screen View if there is anything else needed, please let me know, thanks!

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
    restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
    these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
    for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
    or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
    your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
    select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 
    0xfffff80002cd07b6)

*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80002ccc600 base at 0xfffff80002c5c000 DateStamp 
    0x4b88cfeb
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 1:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) is mainly caused by a specific driver. Here I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1.     Boot in Safe Mode to test.

2.     Perform a Device Clean boot to identify which driver causes the error.

1)    Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter.

2)    Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3)    Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4)    Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK

5)    Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

6)    Please restart the computer.

3.     Update the device drivers to the latest version. You can download from the following manufacturer’s site.

Dell Studio XPS Driver Download

Please note: we provide the third party link to download relevant driver for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn’t guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

However, .to solid troubleshoot this kind of issue, it is recommended to collect the minidump files and contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:11 AM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:44 AM

• IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) is mainly caused by a specific driver. Here I would like to propose the following suggestions:

5)    Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) is mainly caused by a specific driver. Here I would like to propose the following suggestions:

3.     Update the device drivers to the latest version. You can download from the following manufacturer’s site.

Dell Studio XPS Driver Download

Please note: we provide the third party link to download relevant driver for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn’t guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

However, .to solid troubleshoot this kind of issue, it is recommended to collect the minidump files and contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently.

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Also, if problems persist, can you zip up the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder and make available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

If you have problems zipping the minidump files copy the minidump files to another location such as a folder on the Desktop

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:40 AM

• IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) is mainly caused by a specific driver. Here I would like to propose the following suggestions:

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards
    Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:11 AM