Installing Client in Novell Environment RRS feed

• Question

• We have Windows 7 boxes that have a novell cleint and ZEN on them.  We are looking to deploy SCCM on them and then switch to AD and remove ZEN.  Currently the Win 7 box can ping the SCCM address but cannot resolve the name.  How do I get the SCCM 2012 R2 Client installed on the Win 7 boxes (I understand it will be a manual install).  Not sure of the switches.

Thanks

Monday, January 13, 2014 3:19 PM

Answers

• Your clients will need to resolve the SCCM servers...

I moved from ZEN7 to SCCM. If using the ZEN7 client, be aware of a possible issue with "WMGRPPOL.DLL". Since we switched over to AD GPOs, I deleted the dll (from ZEN) which conflicts with AD scripts. For some reason, only one AD script (from GPOs) would run. After deleting the DLL, all AD GPO scripts run. We had the ZEN client, Novell client and SCCM client running at the same time.

There are many ways to deploy the SCCM client agent (WSUS, GPO, manually triggered via the admin console, manual command / script, using ZEN, etc.)...

I run it via a GPO script, to ensure that all systems that login to AD have the client. It's a personal preference...

E.g. A GPO that that runs a script (batch, vbs, powershell):

\\MY_SHARE\ccmsetup.exe SMSSITECODE=MY_SITE FSP=MY_FSP.my_domain SMSCACHESIZE=20480

Replace the parameter values with your own... FSP is nice to see client install failures for systems that are not yet connected to SCCM.

more info on the parameters: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg699356.aspx

• Edited by fern.santos Monday, January 13, 2014 4:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, February 9, 2014 12:35 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Please refer to the good suggestion by fernsantos. If you want to use the installation properties he is using, please be aware that the AD schema needs to be extended or you may pre-provision the installation properties by GPO. The templates is in the following path.

Microsoft Configuration Manager\tools\ConfigMgrADMTemplates

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Juke Chou Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:11 PM
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:09 PM

All replies

• It not going to help to manually install the CM!2 client, You need to be able to resolve the CM12 site server name. I would work on that issue before trying to install the CM12 client.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Monday, January 13, 2014 4:00 PM
  • Your clients will need to resolve the SCCM servers...

I moved from ZEN7 to SCCM. If using the ZEN7 client, be aware of a possible issue with "WMGRPPOL.DLL". Since we switched over to AD GPOs, I deleted the dll (from ZEN) which conflicts with AD scripts. For some reason, only one AD script (from GPOs) would run. After deleting the DLL, all AD GPO scripts run. We had the ZEN client, Novell client and SCCM client running at the same time.

There are many ways to deploy the SCCM client agent (WSUS, GPO, manually triggered via the admin console, manual command / script, using ZEN, etc.)...

I run it via a GPO script, to ensure that all systems that login to AD have the client. It's a personal preference...

E.g. A GPO that that runs a script (batch, vbs, powershell):

\\MY_SHARE\ccmsetup.exe SMSSITECODE=MY_SITE FSP=MY_FSP.my_domain SMSCACHESIZE=20480

Replace the parameter values with your own... FSP is nice to see client install failures for systems that are not yet connected to SCCM.

more info on the parameters: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg699356.aspx

• Edited by fern.santos Monday, January 13, 2014 4:09 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Please refer to the good suggestion by fernsantos. If you want to use the installation properties he is using, please be aware that the AD schema needs to be extended or you may pre-provision the installation properties by GPO. The templates is in the following path.

Microsoft Configuration Manager\tools\ConfigMgrADMTemplates

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Juke Chou Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:11 PM
    Saturday, January 18, 2014 4:09 PM