none
Reporting in Project Server 2013 SPI 1 - Timesheets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I've just upgraded both Sharepoint and Project Server from 2003 to 2013 SP1. Sharepoint is up and running just fine, but i cant wrap my head around reporting in 2013 Project Server. In the old 2003, we had a Data Analysis and it worked fine, it generated reports easy directly from the web interface. But in 2013, thats gone, and it seems we have to use excel. That is fine, but i just can't seem to make it work. I have looked up the official documentation, forums and google, but nothing even comes close to what i need. I tried OData Feed, but when i select timesheets, it gives me nothing useful, it gives me stuff like service accounts and admins, nothing from resource center. I tried with SQL Server Feed, but i don't know what to chose out of the 5000 options there (there is no obvious timesheets).

So basically, i need to generate a report once a month with all resources in resource center. In that report i need to see each persons timesheet (how many hours on what projects they worked), and maybe a percentege or graph made out of it. Nothing special.

How do i do that?

Thank you.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 9:51 AM

All replies

• George!

Things have changed a bit in the intervening decade - but the timesheet data is still there.

While you can connect to the SQL database and query it, the thing that is most similar to your 2003 data analysis experience is a Cube report.

You need to build the cubes first using Central Admin->General Application Settings->PWA Settings->Manage->OLAP Database Management.

Once built your Business Intelligence subsite will be furnished with a set of Cube connection files in PWA->Business Intelligence->Data Connections->English (United States)->ServerName

Look for the Timesheet Cube

Open this using Excel.

Drag & Drop the fields into the pivot table like this:

and you will get the report of the resources, projects and the actual work on each.

This is just a super simple example - you can create quite complex reports this way.

Cheers,

J.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

• Edited by James Boman Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:18 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 11:16 AM
  • I'm not sure we are talking about the same version. I have an OLAP cube, it updates daily, but nothing like what you say appears anywhere. 
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:47 AM
  • George,

Can you find the Business Intelligence Center sub-site under PWA?

Cheers,

J.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:20 AM
  • Here it is

OLAP IS BUILT

What now? If my OLAP cube is build, is there a misconfiguration i need to do for the Data Connection to not be empty?

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 10:01 AM