none
Want to input my own hours, start dates, and end dates per task and resource in MS Project Server - how to turn off automatic recalcs? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to MS Project Server 2010 -- all I want to do is enter a bunch of tasks for my project and input each task start and end dates which are known and fixed.  Then I'll add resources and enter how many hours per day they will work on each task (won't be 8 hrs a day - some number less).  I don't want MS Project Server to adjust start or end dates based on any resource hours entered.  It seems as I enter one set of information, MS Project Server automatically adjusts the other.  How to turn all this off?  Thanks
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:42 PM

Answers

• I'll start with the standard caveat that if you know the start and end dates,
    what's the point of making a schedule in Microsoft Project?  It's a modeling
    tool.  You plug in your variables, and it creates a model to forecast the
    future.  In your case, it sounds like you don't have any variables.  Maybe
    Excel would be a better bet?

....ok....now that's out of the way....

I'd recommend you just use manual tasks - that's what it's designed for.
     Just create the task, plug in start and finish, and add the resource.  Go
    to View and select the Details view, then set the units for the resource
    as needed (25%, 50%, 100%, etc.).  The only issue is if you want to edit
    the hours/day on a day by day basis, which I don't think is supported by
    manual tasks.

...but again, I'll throw out a simple question, what's the point of making
    a schedule for something like this?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:20 AM

All replies

• I'll start with the standard caveat that if you know the start and end dates,
    what's the point of making a schedule in Microsoft Project?  It's a modeling
    tool.  You plug in your variables, and it creates a model to forecast the
    future.  In your case, it sounds like you don't have any variables.  Maybe
    Excel would be a better bet?

....ok....now that's out of the way....

I'd recommend you just use manual tasks - that's what it's designed for.
     Just create the task, plug in start and finish, and add the resource.  Go
    to View and select the Details view, then set the units for the resource
    as needed (25%, 50%, 100%, etc.).  The only issue is if you want to edit
    the hours/day on a day by day basis, which I don't think is supported by
    manual tasks.

...but again, I'll throw out a simple question, what's the point of making
    a schedule for something like this?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Andrew,

I have a simular situation...I am only managing a project plan by week as there is a resource assigned who needs a task on their MS Proj. Timesheet. There is no offical PM on the project yet, so I'm not looking to manage the whole project without a PM. My only goal, is to give a task to my resource on a weekly basis. Is it the intended use of MS project, nope....but its the world we live in.

I setup tasks for each week, manual entry and fixed units.

However, my week 2 task is already setup for that week. Great!

When I come back to look at the plan on Tuesday, its changed the start dates to 8/16/13 even though the Task 1 placeholder was completed had a date of (for example) 9/30/13 as the end date and Monday for the start date in task 1. My resource doesn't work weekends, and I'm still required to show her allocation to this project (yes I know silly without an assigned PM) until a PM is hired beyond one week.

Even if I changed the task to run from today until eternity, she's a shared resource and her other 50% assignments could be other (and multiple projects) so even if I made a long running task, its going to be an issue if she gets assigned to project for more than 50% of her time by another PM.

I know its a simplistic use of a complex and variable use tool...I get that...but it shouldn't be brain surgery to get and maintain a start and end date on a task...but I'm finding it is....one which I am NOT qualified to undertake (the brain surgery) so I'd appreciate your assistnace in a down to earth answer....

• Edited by kd7kws Tuesday, October 8, 2013 11:39 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:22 PM