CAL requirements for remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• If I have 10 PCs with Office installed, I need 10 licences, that part is easy.

If those 10 PCs have remote desktop enabled, and each of the users establishes a VPN into the LAN and uses RDP to remote control their PC directly (ie does not involve any other server - just the workstation is being accessed remotely) Do I then need an additional 10 licences? Each PC would lock down when an RDP session is in place, so it's not as if the software could be used simultaneously.

Someone informed me that for each RDP enabled desktop in use, you need an additional licence. Is this correct?

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You may refer to this:

Office on an RDS server:
    https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/office2010.aspx#tab=1
    Select New Customer / Licensing and Use Rights / I would like to use Office via Windows Server Remote Desktop Services

“There are three key licensing considerations when Office 2010 is accessed via Remote Desktop Services:

1 – Must be Volume Licensing: Remote Desktop Services deployments of Microsoft Office require Volume License copies (media, keys, and licenses). This applies both to the copy physically installed on the server as well as the license applied to client machines.

2 – Server installation does not require a license. A licensed client device allows additional copies to be installed on a network device. These copies may be accessed from a separately licensed device, as per blow.

3 – This supports only remote access to the copy installed on the server. Client devices must each be licensed for Office 2010: Each client machine that access the RDS install on a server must have an Office license. They many not access editions or software they are not licensed for.”

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:26 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 6:16 AM