VISTA dvd won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• My windows Winload.exe got corrupted and I'm not able to start my system.
    I already found a solution, however this requires to boot the DVD.

And there is the problem. When i boot the dvd, i get a nice windows-loading-files bar, then a nice little animation and then nothing, only a blank screen and nothing more.

I did some test and if I unplug all my Hard disks the dvd will boot.
    But because my vista installation is installed on en IDE-HD, I can't load the disk like my disk after the dvd is booted.

Can somebody please help me.

ps: All other cd/dvd can boot, like the live cd of ubuntu, I even can load mount my windows HD.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 9:20 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Can you boot from the Vista disk on other computers?

As you mentioned the dvd will boot after removing all hard disks, the issue can be caused by filter drivers. (filter drivers affect the DVD-ROM to work normally)

As we cannot enter the system now, we cannot delete filter drivers.

At current situation, you may need to install another DVD-ROM to test the issue. You can also unplug the hard drive, install the drive on another computer, recover the system (make your system can boot) and then reinstall the drive on the original computer. Then we can boot to the system and try the following steps to remove filter drivers. After that, you may be able to boot from DVD-ROM without unplugging the drive.

Delete filter drivers:

==========

1. Click "Start", type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and then click "OK".

2. Locate the "Run" registry key in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-0

8002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder in the left pane and click Export.

4. Please type a name in "File name" and select a location to save the exported file.

5. Highlight the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder in the left pane, and delete the following two keys in the right pane.

UpperFilters

LowerFilters

Note: Right-click on the above keys, and click Delete.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

-qqqlllmmm

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:04 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Can you boot from the Vista disk on other computers?

As you mentioned the dvd will boot after removing all hard disks, the issue can be caused by filter drivers. (filter drivers affect the DVD-ROM to work normally)

As we cannot enter the system now, we cannot delete filter drivers.

At current situation, you may need to install another DVD-ROM to test the issue. You can also unplug the hard drive, install the drive on another computer, recover the system (make your system can boot) and then reinstall the drive on the original computer. Then we can boot to the system and try the following steps to remove filter drivers. After that, you may be able to boot from DVD-ROM without unplugging the drive.

Delete filter drivers:

==========

1. Click "Start", type "regedit" (without the quotation marks), and then click "OK".

2. Locate the "Run" registry key in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-0

8002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder in the left pane and click Export.

4. Please type a name in "File name" and select a location to save the exported file.

5. Highlight the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder in the left pane, and delete the following two keys in the right pane.

UpperFilters

LowerFilters

Note: Right-click on the above keys, and click Delete.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

-qqqlllmmm

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:04 AM
  • Here is another simpler way of solvig this problem that worked for me.  That is assuming you have XP on another drive!

Go to the forum item "Getting Rid of Vista" right now its on page three.  Do what he says, Boot to XP and select Run and type in what he says. Reboot to XP to make sure it works then you will find that the installation Disk for Vista loads, be patient its slow. then when you have filled in your language requirement and click next go to "Repair my computer" and then click "repair start up" and the do what it says  and on rebooting you will find that vista works again or u can get rid of it whichever you prefer

Thursday, November 8, 2007 11:30 AM
  • I have this issue and there are no filters in the registry. I can boot from the Vista Recovery disk but not from the Vista DVD. Can you suggest another solution?
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:57 PM