Isolated Office 2010 AppV RRS feed

• Question

• I'm creating an Office 2010 App-V package for training, evaluation, compatibility testing. I want to be able to have it as isolated as possible from existing native installed Office 2003 so the end users don't see Office 2010 unless they specifically launch it.

The problem I'm seeing is that the AppV Deployment Kit for Office seems to make changes on the native machine affecting Sharepoint even though I am not installing the Sharepoint proxies. My AppV Kit command line is just msiexec.exe /i OffVirt.msi PROPLUS=1.

After the AppV Kit is installed (whether the AppV application is installed or not), when trying to use "Edit in Excel" or "Edit in Word" in Sharepoint, I receive the error "'Edit Document' requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater." Other Sharepoint functions seem to work correctly.

Sharepoint Services is installed in Office 2003 and works until the AppV kit is installed.

I used our packaging tool to monitor the install of the AppV kit and see that it installs files and registry entries for all the proxies even though I have not added them to the command line.

Any insight on what I might be missing here? Is there a specific command line to tell OffVirt NOT to install any proxy stuff?

Friday, May 6, 2011 7:50 PM

Answers

• Looks like it works!

msiexec.exe /i OffVirt.msi PROPLUS=1
    msiexec.exe /i OffVirt.msi REMOVE=Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runOWSSuppProxies

Leaves me with sharepoint operational on the native WS with Office 2003, and virtual Office 2010 still works too.

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by LHonke Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:49 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Does that happen if only installing the deployment kit and not publishing / installing the package? 
    /Znack
    Friday, May 6, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Yes! The problem occurs right away as soon as OffVirt.msi PROPLUS=1 is installed.

We use SCCM for deployment so the Office AppV will be deployed that way.

Friday, May 6, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Hello,

So the Office 2010 virtualized package is not available on that client? 
    /Znack
    Friday, May 6, 2011 8:06 PM
  • It doesn't matter if the Office 2010 virtualized package is available or not, the problem still occurs.

What I want to see happen when the end user tries to edit a Sharepoint doc is to have the appropriate Office 2003 application launch, just like prior to AppV Deployment Kit install.

The intent is for Office 2003 to remain the default for everything. The only way people can launch an Office 2010 app is to launch it from a shortcut. I'm very close to that, just this Sharepoint launch remains a problem.

Friday, May 6, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Hello,

Can you use process monitor to identify what registry keys are accessed during the usage of that feature?

Then you can compare how they look before and after the deployment of the APp-V toolkit 

/Znack
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I took a look at it with procmon. Unfortunately there is so much activity (3400+ registry accesses) that I can't identify where the problem might be.

I'm pretty sure the issue is that the offvirt.msi installs the sharepoint proxy whether I ask for it or not. Adminstudio certainly identifies many sharepoint related registry changes being made just by installing offvirt.msi /PROPLUS=1 even though I'm not using the ADDDEFAULT=Click2runOWSSuppProxies.

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hello,

Properties shouldn't be entered using /PROPLUS, but PROPLUS. 
    /Znack
    Monday, May 16, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Sorry, that was just a typo - my install is using PROPLUS=1 not /PROPLUS=1
    Monday, May 16, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Try adding REMOVE=Click2runOWSSuppProxies to the command line, along with any ADDLOCAL or ADDDEFAULT options that you are using.
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Thanks Aaron, will try that.

One thing that we are testing already that appears to work is removing the Sharepoint component from the offvirt.msi using an MSI editing tool. Of course I would prefer not to have to edit the MS-supplied MSI.

under Components in the MSI I removed Click2run_OWSSupp and Click2run_OWSSuppProxies and installed it using offvirt.msi PROPLUS=1. No errors were generated and it works as desired.

Will advise ASAP on the result of using REMOVE=Click2runOWSSuppProxies

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:38 PM
  • I would try both on the command line then: REMOVE=Click2runOWSSuppProxies,Click2run_OWSSupp
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Looks like it works!

msiexec.exe /i OffVirt.msi PROPLUS=1
    msiexec.exe /i OffVirt.msi REMOVE=Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runOWSSuppProxies

Leaves me with sharepoint operational on the native WS with Office 2003, and virtual Office 2010 still works too.

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by LHonke Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:49 PM
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:37 PM