none
Windows 10 Downloads folder - not redirecting

Question

• Hey,

We redirect all folders possible through GP.  Got a weird issue with the Downloads folder on Windows 10 though.  Windows still wants to use C:\Users\<username>\Downloads when you click the folder under 'This PC'.

Weirdly, event viewer shows it as directing successfully, but the Location tab (and registry) shows the local folder.  If I change the registry to be the network share, the Location tab updates, but it still wants to use local folder when clicking it under 'This PC'

Registry after GP update:

Location tab after GP update:

Registry after manual change:

Location tab after manual change:

But even after the manual change in registry, we still get the same error as the first image attached here.

GP Settings:

Any ideas?

Thursday, November 24, 2016 9:04 AM

Answers

• OK.  I am officially an idiot.

There was a rogue Group Policy Preference item which was setting the downloads folder to %USERPROFILE%\Downloads.

Deleted that and all is well.  Sorry!

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Have you checked the redirected path for Downloads folder and the other working folders? Any difference?
    In addition, after you manully changed the path in the registry, please have a try to reboot the client and see if the error disappear or not.
    And please check if there is other group policy affecting Downloads folder redirection, you could run gpresult /h command to view the report for details.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 25, 2016 2:59 AM
  • All paths are valid. No difference.

If I reboot (or manually run gpupdate /force) the registry always gets reset to C:\Users\<username>\Downloads, but event viewer always says the downloads folder was successfully redirected to the network location.

Result of gpresult:

Monday, November 28, 2016 11:37 AM
  • Hi,

Am 24.11.2016 um 10:04 schrieb Lanky Doodle:
    > We redirect all folders possible through GP.  Got a weird issue with
    > the Downloads folder on Windows 10 though.

Delete offline cache, reset offline cache database.

eventually delete c:\windows\csc\namespace\subfolders aswell.

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

Monday, November 28, 2016 12:03 PM
  • I'm still not getting anywhere with this.  I have tried:

Complete re-install of Windows 10
    Clean roaming profile
    Clean redirected folders
    All of the above at once

Interestingly it stopped working when I installed the Anniversary update.  The clean install of Windows 10 has the Anniverary update slipstreamed (official ISO from Microsoft).

Yet still only the Downloads folder does not redirect, but the logs indicate it was successful:

Friday, December 30, 2016 9:31 AM
  • OK, the plot thickens.

I've disabled folder redirection for the Downloads folder in Group Policy, run gupdate /force, rebooted, logged in, and it's redirected it properly!

What the f***!  Interestingly, the 'default' registry values stay as the local path, but an additional has been cretaed:

But the Location tab for the downloads folder does now show the network path.

Friday, December 30, 2016 12:13 PM
  • OK.  I am officially an idiot.

There was a rogue Group Policy Preference item which was setting the downloads folder to %USERPROFILE%\Downloads.

Deleted that and all is well.  Sorry!

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:23 AM
  • > OK.  I am officially an idiot.

Congrats! :-)))

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:41 AM