none
DPM 2010 Backups 'hang' RRS feed

• Question

• I am using 1 DPM 2010 server to backup my Hyper-V CSV.  I have serialized my backups.  I am having issues every now and then on backups. I have a protection group to backup my SQL servers at the database level and it sync's every 2 hours.  This is currently 3 SQL servers, 4 instances and about 120 databases.  I also have ONE of those SQL servers virtual and my DPM is backing up my Hyper-V Cluster - CSV a sepearate protection group - this is set to backup at 9AM and 8PM.  I would back this up more frequently but I currently have about 30 VMs that are being backed up - Child Partition Snapshot and it takes about 4 hours to complete as they are serialized - this was to prevent the VSS error about a backup already in progress....  ONE of those SQL servers is on a stand alone hyper-V host.  This VM has no issues being backed up at the DB level or VM level.  The only SQL server that has an issue being backed up is the one that is being backed up on the cluster and at the DB level.  Sometimes these backups happen simultaneously.  When the backups 'fail' they don't really fail.  I'll log in and notice that jobs have been running for 15 hours or so - and NO data has been transferred.  The only thing I can do is cancel the backup and let it try again at the next scheduled time.  Sometimes when i cancel a backup it won't cancel - just says attempting to cancel - and I end up rebooting the DPM server.

I find everyday I am checking my backups and there are ALWAYS failures.  Can anyone help me structure my backups so they don't fail constantly?  I'm not sure what to do.

Zach

Zach Smith
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:42 PM

Answers

• If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, January 16, 2012 11:13 PM

All replies

• So is the backup that fails in the same protection group as the VMs?  Is it a VM?  It is a little early here and not following.  

I have seen the hang of backups in DPM with Hyper-V.  What this usually points to is that there is a problem with a local VSS writer on the Host, and since you are using serialized backups, could be hanging up other backups.  In this case, I would restart the "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management" service. 

Net stop VMMS

Net Start VMMS

If this is periodic, the that is a fix I have worked with for quite some time.  If the problem is regular, I would check to see if all of your VMs are on the same Integration Services level.  

Here is a quick way to do this.

Get Integration version from remote VM

wmic /node:VMNAME datafile where name="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\vmicsvc.exe" get version

As far as structure here is what I do:

Non-Hyper-V workloads have their own protection groups.  SQL, Exchange, etc... are usually organized by the server the data resides on in its own protection group. i.e. SERVERNAME_SQL_12AM, SERVERNAME_EXCHANGE_SG1-SG8_8PM, SERVERNAME_EXCHANGE_SG9-SG16_10PM  etc... 

Hyper-V:

Stand Alone Hosts: Often pooled together and split between protection groups.  Production VMs backed up daily, Test/Dev backed up Weekly.

Clustered Hosts:  Protection groups created up by the CSV the VMs live on.  i.e. CLUSTERNAME_CSV1_3AM, CLUSTERNAME_CSV2_6AM etc...

Hope some of this rambling helps.  Keep the group up to date with any more info or clarification.

Rob McShinsky ( http://www.VirtuallyAware.com ) 

http://www.VirtuallyAware.com
    Monday, April 25, 2011 11:14 AM
  • If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, January 16, 2012 11:13 PM