Resource Availability RRS feed

• Question

• Using Project 2007 Standard.  I would like to know if there is a way to set resource availability to a certain work period only.  The setting in the Resource Sheet only allows you to set unit% for set periods.  I would like to set a period of time where a resource is only available and cannot work beyond.  We have contractors that budget will only allow us to have for 11 weeks.  I want to be able to fill their time but alert me when they have reached their contract end date.  Using exceptions does not do what I want.  Using a resource pool if that makes a difference.  Recommendations?
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Simplest solution is to add a deadline to the contractor's last task with the 11 week deadline. If the finish date passes that date a red diamond will appear in the indicator column.

There are various other solutions, but their use depends on how your schedule is structured and what's most important for your schedule to communicate to your stakeholders.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Thanks Rod.  I appreciate your response.  Your suggestion helps somewhat but doesn't solve all my problems.  Is there a solution that attaches the deadline to the resource's availability instead of their last task?  There work periods are hard stops.  We are trying to balance the workload amongst the contractors and I am adding/juggling tasks between them.  I would like to have a way that does not allow me to over-allocate them.  Thanks again.
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in.  There is an option of setting availability through the Resource Information dialog.  However, this will not prevent you from assigning resources past their availability date -- but will immediately flag them as overallocated.

Julie

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Add a milestone that communicates end of contractor work and link it to end of contractor workstreams. Now that milestone will finish after all contractor work is finished. Add deadline to this milestone.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by Joseph Das Monday, May 7, 2012 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Thanks Rod.  That workaround will do the trick.
    Monday, May 7, 2012 1:34 PM