Outlook 2016 default message font has changed, cannot revert. "set as default" grayed out RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using Outlook 2016 for several months and I'm very happy with it. 

Two days ago, I accidentally touched several keys on the keyboard at the same time, and since then the default message text for all message types has changed from 12 pt to 11pt! When I go to file/options/mail/stationery & fonts/, it has selected "+body" as my font at the top of the font list, the font size is 11pt, and most of the strikethrough/ superscript/subscript/small caps etc boxes are filled in with a black square. If I uncheck them all, change size back to 12pt, change font to calibri, the "set as default" box is still grayed out, so I can't revert to my original standard.

I also find that I can't edit my signatures any more; I can place the cursor in the signature box, but I can't select any text, so I can't change any characteristics of the signature. 

I know this sounds unbelievable but believe me it happened! How do I revert to my preferred default message characteristics please?

Simon Brew

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:19 AM

Answers

• The "Set As Default" button has always been a dud in that dialog as it is basically a repurposed Font dialog that is also being used in other parts of Office. You can leave the black squares as well as that only indicates that that font has that capability.

When you set your preferences in that dialog, press OK until you return to Outlook and then create a new email, is the font correct then?

As for the Signature issue; Can you still create new signatures and select the default signature from the drop down lists?

Also, are you in a corporate environment? If so, it could be that your corporate admin has recently deployed several defaults by Group Policy.

Additionally, could you post your exact build number in full as reported in;
    File-> Office Account

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by simonbrew Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Signatures remain a mystery: I can select a signature for editing and the correct signature appears in the edit box below, but I cannot edit it because, although I can move the cursor to the edit box, I can't select any text. 

Hi Simon,

I can also reproduce this issue in my Outlook 2016. I cannot confirm whether this is a limitation or an intended change in Outlook 2016 as I haven't found any documentation stating this after a long time researching. I also noticed several posts reporting this issue in Outlook 2016. I'll help submit a feedback regarding this issue via internal way.

As a workaround, we may try selecting text via putting the cursor, then selecting the text via Ctrl + Shift + right (or left) arrow.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Steve Fan Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by simonbrew Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:11 AM

All replies

• The "Set As Default" button has always been a dud in that dialog as it is basically a repurposed Font dialog that is also being used in other parts of Office. You can leave the black squares as well as that only indicates that that font has that capability.

When you set your preferences in that dialog, press OK until you return to Outlook and then create a new email, is the font correct then?

As for the Signature issue; Can you still create new signatures and select the default signature from the drop down lists?

Also, are you in a corporate environment? If so, it could be that your corporate admin has recently deployed several defaults by Group Policy.

Additionally, could you post your exact build number in full as reported in;
    File-> Office Account

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

• Marked as answer by simonbrew Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Thanks for very quick and concise response. Office365 Pro plus Version = 1701, Build =7766.2096

I've found that I can reset all the default message fonts and everything still works OK after closing and opening Outlook.

Signatures remain a mystery: I can select a signature for editing and the correct signature appears in the edit box below, but I cannot edit it because, although I can move the cursor to the edit box, I can't select any text. 

I can create a new signature in any style I like, but I can't edit it after creation because of the cursor problem above. 

Any further thoughts welcome.. Thanks again..

Simon Brew

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:15 AM
  • PS I am in a corporate environment, but I'd be very surprised if anyone imposed any policies in this area. The problem only appeared after I accidentally hit two keys at the same time!

Simon Brew

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Signatures remain a mystery: I can select a signature for editing and the correct signature appears in the edit box below, but I cannot edit it because, although I can move the cursor to the edit box, I can't select any text. 

Hi Simon,

I can also reproduce this issue in my Outlook 2016. I cannot confirm whether this is a limitation or an intended change in Outlook 2016 as I haven't found any documentation stating this after a long time researching. I also noticed several posts reporting this issue in Outlook 2016. I'll help submit a feedback regarding this issue via internal way.

As a workaround, we may try selecting text via putting the cursor, then selecting the text via Ctrl + Shift + right (or left) arrow.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Steve Fan Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by simonbrew Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Thanks for this response re signature editing. I can't believe that it's a deliberate design feature to make it so difficult to edit the signature, (much more likely a bug!) but I'm delighted to report that your workaround worked well. I placed cursor at end of signature text then ctrl/ <-  to select all the required text. I could then change font or other characteristics as required. 

I still think both these problems are worth reporting - thanks again... 

Simon Brew

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 6:19 PM