Cisco VPN option menu items missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following:

Win 7

Cisco VPN 5.0.05.0290

The issue I am having is that Win7 is blocking the full option menu of the VPN client, I donot have access to allow the client to stay on when the user logs off.  This is used to change from the user to the admninistrator account via the vpn/VNC connection. In XP the setting allowed this but in Win seven the options are not shown.  Is there a work around this.  I have tried most suggestions from various community responses with no avail

Thanks

Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:44 PM

Answers

• Cisco has sole responsibility for supporting their software, not Microsoft.  Microsoft provides the necessary information for third party software to interface with Windows.  If the software does not interface properly and there are problems with it, it is the sole responsibility of the third party software publisher to troubleshoot and fix the problems.

I have experienced problems with third party software on different versions of Windows and I always go to the source for a solution.  I do not expect Microsoft to figure out what is wrong with someone else's software.

If Microsoft were to try fixing third party software they would be violating Intellectual Property (IP) that does not belong to Microsoft.  Plain and simple.

Cisco has support forums @ https://supportforums.cisco.com/index.jspa

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, May 13, 2011 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, May 16, 2011 2:56 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:36 PM

All replies

• Since this is a third party software you need to contact Cisco Technical Support and ask them about the situation.  Microsoft does not provide support for third party software.

You may need a newer edition of the software to be fully compatible with Windows 7.

In fact, if you go to the Cisco download website @ http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=281940730&catid=268438162&os=Windows&softwareid=282364316&release=5.0.07.0440&rellifecycle=&relind=AVAILABLE&reltype=all and check the version of their VPN you will see that the first version Cisco posts with Windows 7 compatibility is vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.06.0160-k9.exe.  The latest version is vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9.exe

So this is strictly a Cisco problem, not a Windows 7 problem.  You need to update your software!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:47 PM
  • I updated the software and the same limited options are still there, In XP all of the options are available as I loaded the new Cisco Client.  The Win 7 somehow blocks the full option menu.  I contacted Cisco and they insist that MS7 is blocking the full options.  You say this is a Cisco problem and I am stuck in the middle.  I hope everyone can play nice on trying to fix the issue

Thanks for the reply and suggestion,

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Cisco has sole responsibility for supporting their software, not Microsoft.  Microsoft provides the necessary information for third party software to interface with Windows.  If the software does not interface properly and there are problems with it, it is the sole responsibility of the third party software publisher to troubleshoot and fix the problems.

I have experienced problems with third party software on different versions of Windows and I always go to the source for a solution.  I do not expect Microsoft to figure out what is wrong with someone else's software.

If Microsoft were to try fixing third party software they would be violating Intellectual Property (IP) that does not belong to Microsoft.  Plain and simple.

Cisco has support forums @ https://supportforums.cisco.com/index.jspa

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, May 13, 2011 6:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, May 16, 2011 2:56 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:36 PM
  • Thank you
    Friday, May 13, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

Since Rick has provided a good direction, I will mark the former reply as answer, in order to direct other communities who encounter the similar issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 16, 2011 2:55 AM