none
Client restore fails to download image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I tried restoring 2 clients using WDS, both failed after I selected which restore I wanted to use (x86 and x64) with the following error:

Info: A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed.

With the corresponding error in the Deployment Services log (the same error for the x64 restore also):

The Following Client failed TFTP Download:

Client IP: 192.168.0.xx

Filename: \Boot\x86\Images\2945D857-0599-4EFA-80A1-BBB66B54EFF1.wim

ErrorCode: 13

File Size: 296922794

Client Port: 7222

Server Port: 55960

Variable Window: true

I tried  restarting the WDS service, but the same error occurred. One of them has a Marvel Yukon onboard gigabit NIC, the other has an Intel 825X Gigabit adapter.

I had to create a USB key and restore them using that in the end, which was successful, but I am wondering if anyone knows what error code 13 is?

Thanks,

Thanks, Alec

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have not found specific information about the error code 13. Baes on my experience, you may try to disable Netbios over TCPIP on the DHCP Server and check the result. 

Reference “How to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP by using DHCP server options” for detail steps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/313314/how-to-disable-netbios-over-tcp-ip-by-using-dhcp-server-options

Above is suggestion and just for your reference. For WDS relate question, I would recommend you to post on WDS forum – Setup Deployment, and relate product expert may provide you more suggestion:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?forum=winserversetup&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:19 AM
  • This is an issue that apparently cropped up after a March 2019 update, and that I just ran into when trying to revert from Windows 1903 on a client.  You may be able to search for the original post that I found based upon this quick summary of what to do:

On your server, go to Control Panel, and then Administrative Tools

Click on Windows Deployment Services

Select your server, right click, click properties

Go to the TFTP tab

UNCHECK "Variable Window Extension"

Run your client PXE boot sequence and watch it work once again

Silently curse the responsible parties.

• Proposed as answer by HomeUser234 Monday, June 3, 2019 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Madlec Sunday, June 16, 2019 9:03 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 4:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have not found specific information about the error code 13. Baes on my experience, you may try to disable Netbios over TCPIP on the DHCP Server and check the result. 

Reference “How to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP by using DHCP server options” for detail steps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/313314/how-to-disable-netbios-over-tcp-ip-by-using-dhcp-server-options

Above is suggestion and just for your reference. For WDS relate question, I would recommend you to post on WDS forum – Setup Deployment, and relate product expert may provide you more suggestion:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?forum=winserversetup&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Friday, March 29, 2019 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for following up. I have been busy, and had to put this on my to do list. I will post the question on the wds forum when I am able to look into this again.

Thanks,

Alec

Thanks, Alec

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your updating.

If there is any more questions/concerns, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 9:30 AM
  • This is an issue that apparently cropped up after a March 2019 update, and that I just ran into when trying to revert from Windows 1903 on a client.  You may be able to search for the original post that I found based upon this quick summary of what to do:

On your server, go to Control Panel, and then Administrative Tools

Click on Windows Deployment Services

Select your server, right click, click properties

Go to the TFTP tab

UNCHECK "Variable Window Extension"

Run your client PXE boot sequence and watch it work once again

Silently curse the responsible parties.

• Proposed as answer by HomeUser234 Monday, June 3, 2019 4:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Madlec Sunday, June 16, 2019 9:03 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 4:31 AM
  • Hi, 

I made the change and tested one of my clients. It booted into Win PE without any problems. Thanks HomeUser234.

Thanks, Alec

Sunday, June 16, 2019 9:05 PM