Installed RSAT on Windows 7, but server manager wasn't installed? RRS feed

• Question

• The RSAT installer completed just fine, and the link to the help page was added under Administrative Tools, but server manager isn't there or in the list of available snap-ins, and it doesn't seem like any of the other snap-ins were added either. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, no SP1. I'm not currently joined to my server's domain, but I don't think that should make any difference in whether server manager is installed or not.

How can I convince server manager to grace me with its presence?

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I have installed Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) on my Windows 7 computer and I can find Server Manager in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Turn Windows features on or off.

Vincent Hu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by msgerbs Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:58 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This following KB describes the tools that are available for installation as part of Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7, you can refer to:

Description of Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958830/en-us

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:11 AM
  • If Server Manager is not included, then why do the help files referenced by the installer state very specifically "Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 includes Server Manager for managing roles and features on a computer that is running either the full or Server Core installation options of Windows Server 2008 R2."?
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

I have installed Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) on my Windows 7 computer and I can find Server Manager in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Turn Windows features on or off.

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by msgerbs Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:58 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Thanks, I feel like an idiot now. Sure enough, it's in the help files, hiding right in the middle part I never read.
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:58 AM