Upgrading from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm running on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit now and I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit ( I have the Windows 7 Ultimate CDs ). When I say upgrade, I'm aware that I actually need to clean install the 64 bit OS. 
    I want to know when I install Windows 64 bit by putting its DVD, will I need to activate Windows once again ? Like I did when I installed Windows for the first time on my PC. 

But here's the problem actually, I bought this Windows 7 back in India when I was there and I installed the 32 bit OS there ( hence activated in India itself, after all, it's said that the activation much be done in India. ) 
    But now, I'm in France, I moved here and I'm actually needing a 64 bit OS. So, installing the Windows 64 bit with this DVD, will it or not require activation ? 

Because if it doesn't, it shouldn't be any problem and I could install it right ? 
    But if it does, I wouldn't be able to activate as I'm not in India anymore right ? If so, is there any other way or anything that could be done ? 

I hope I was clear enough with the issue here, thanks for your help! 
    • Edited by Eroshik Sunday, June 1, 2014 9:59 AM
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 9:56 AM

Answers

• To "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a completely clean install of the system.  You can not "upgrade" the currently installed OS and you will have to activate the new 64-bit installation.

You might be able to affect activation by telephone, but you would have to check with your local Microsoft support.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:30 AM
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

I agreed with Rid Dee. As we consider to do a clean install of a 64bit Windows 7, we need to activate the OS after the installiation.

In addition, for license issue, we may make a contact to Microsoft license support team, or we might consider ask in the forum below:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=genuinewindows7

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:00 AM

All replies

• To "upgrade" from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a completely clean install of the system.  You can not "upgrade" the currently installed OS and you will have to activate the new 64-bit installation.

You might be able to affect activation by telephone, but you would have to check with your local Microsoft support.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, June 1, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

I agreed with Rid Dee. As we consider to do a clean install of a 64bit Windows 7, we need to activate the OS after the installiation.

In addition, for license issue, we may make a contact to Microsoft license support team, or we might consider ask in the forum below:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=genuinewindows7

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:00 AM