none
How to remove old inventory jobs from dpm 2010??? RRS feed

• Question

• We currently use Microsoft DPM 2010 to backup all servers as well as a few senior employee desktops. DPM was working great until our tape drive broke, we used a dell powervault 124t with a quantum lto 3 tape drive. We are going to continue to use DPM for short-term backups to disk though. I've attempted to remove the broken tape library multiple ways but am unsuccessful at it. All I'm trying to do is remove the tape inventory jobs so that I don't have to look at them everyday. I know they are harmless, but I'd rather not see them if possible. I've ran a sql script that was supposed to stop the jobs from running. I got the script to run successfully, but it still hasn't stopped the jobs from running. Plus the script was designed for dpm 2007. I am looking for any help possible. Here's the current status of the dpm library

UserFriendlyName : Dell (tm) PowerVault (tm) 124T Autoloader
    IsOffline        : False
    IsEnabled        : False

UserFriendlyName : Quantum LTO 3 Tape Drive
    IsOffline        : True
    IsEnabled        : True

I'm at the point of re-installing dpm 2010 just to remove this error, hoping that might get rid of it.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 2:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• You will need to remove the broken library so Windows no longer sees it, remove any long term tape protection you have in your protection groups so there is no longer any tape library shown in the DPM UI.  You can then run this script to disable future inventory jobs.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmtapebackuprecovery/thread/16a4746b-c406-4bc2-8bb4-c53c12042648

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I've disconnected the broken library from the dpm server, and re-ran the script again yesterday. I've also removed all tape backup jobs from all of my protection groups, so as of right now, I only have short-term backups. However, the jobs still appear as scheduled, I'll have to check but I don't think any of them ran at 9am like they usually do. So I think it's fixed. Any reason why the tape jobs still show up? 

Also, we are looking at upgrading to dpm 2012. Is the option to use "Disk" for long-term backups available? and as DPM 2012 been able to incorporate deduplication yet?

Thanks again for your help.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

It may take a day before the disabled tape inventory task takes effect.

There are no Changes in DPM 2012 (incl. SP1) with regards to long term backup or Dedupe.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:30 PM