Window 7 performance index 64 bit verses 32 bit -- gaming graphics RRS feed

• Question

• I am noticing quite a difference in the Windows 7 H.P. performance index for gaming graphics between 64 bit and 32 bit.

W7 32 bit performance index: 6.0 6.0 4.8 5.5 5.8

W7 64 bit performance index: 6.1 6.1 4.8 4.6 7.7      I added a Crucial SSD C300 128MB so the higher hard disk score is expected.

The laptop is a HP DV9700T Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 4GB NVIDIA 8600M GS 512MB

Both operating systems have the same level NVIDIA video driver.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 5:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Andre,

I couldn't re-create the issue even after installing several different levels of video drivers.   Deleting the xml files solved the issue.

However, I did solve another issue where Roxio's Cineplayer kept looking at the initial ....DWM.. assessment xml file to determine if DirectX support was available. On my laptop, the initial Windows video driver doesn't have DirectX 9 support so Cineplayer would always fail under VISTA and Window 7.  No problem under XP.  Clearing out the DATASTORE XML files solve the issue although just clearing the flag or that one XML file might have worked.

Dave

• Marked as answer by Dave Goodrie Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:57 AM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

post the XML file for the DWM test from the folder:

C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore

here (use the Skydrive to share it). I compare both results.

best regards
    André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Hi Andre,

I decided to clear out the DataStore folder under W7 32 bit and rerun the performance assessment. Now the 64 bit and 32 bit assessments are equal. I am thinbking that it's possible that the NVIDIA driver has an issue.  I am going to try a driver below the NVIDIA 2xx.xx series.

Dave

Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Hi Andre,

I couldn't re-create the issue even after installing several different levels of video drivers.   Deleting the xml files solved the issue.

However, I did solve another issue where Roxio's Cineplayer kept looking at the initial ....DWM.. assessment xml file to determine if DirectX support was available. On my laptop, the initial Windows video driver doesn't have DirectX 9 support so Cineplayer would always fail under VISTA and Window 7.  No problem under XP.  Clearing out the DATASTORE XML files solve the issue although just clearing the flag or that one XML file might have worked.

Dave

• Marked as answer by Dave Goodrie Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:57 AM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Hi Andre,

Hi Dave,

ok, thanks for the feedback.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 1:09 PM