Remove old SCCM07 and stand up clean 2012 install RRS feed

• Question

• About 8 months ago I deployed SCCM 2007 R3 to a limited set of computers in my domain. I have been using it the last 6 months to push out windows and third party software updates (Shavlik) to those workstations.

Since the 07 installation was limited in scope, I am thinking I would like to just delete the 07 instance and stand up a new 2012 instance. I don't think I want to migrate anything over. Instead, start from a completely clean slate and do a much wider scale implementation.

What would I need to remove in order to accomplish this? Currently my AD System Management folder contains the 07 data. Would I just delete the data inside this folder? Is there anything elsewhere in AD or perhaps DNS that I would need to delete to remove any trace of my 07 installation?

I understand that I would need to create a new Site Code for hte 2012 installation. From my reading, I also understand that my new 2012 server would need to have permissions delegated for the System MAnagement folder. Is this correct? Many thanks.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Deleting the old objects from the System Management folder should do fine, The new SCCM 2012 server computer account needs full control to the System Management container and all child objects.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you simply deploy the ConfigMgr 2012 client as you would if there where no client and the installation will uninstall the old SCCM client automatically.

Regards,
    Jörgen

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Deleting the old objects from the System Management folder should do fine, The new SCCM 2012 server computer account needs full control to the System Management container and all child objects.

Regards,
    Jörgen

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Thank you very much for the quick reply.

So for the computers that have the old 07 client, I am assuming that 2012 will uninstall that client and then install associate itself with the 2012 server then?

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you simply deploy the ConfigMgr 2012 client as you would if there where no client and the installation will uninstall the old SCCM client automatically.

Regards,
    Jörgen

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Great! Thank you very much
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:02 PM