No built in headers, footers, or page numbers. RRS feed

• Question

• When I insert a header or a footer there are no built in formats in the header or footer tabs. I can select "edit header" and set one up, but the page numbers will not work at all. If I go to the "more options from Office.com" button, it just says "no online content available". I am a student and purchased Office 2010 Professional Plus from my school. I don't want to pay a couple hundred bucks to be able to use what should be a very basic function of Word. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:59 PM

Answers

• Try the following: Exit Word. Then rename the Built-in Building Blocks template in your user profile. By default, you’ll find it in a subfolder of the C:\Users\YourWindowsUserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks folder. Restart Word when you are done.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by ataylor140 Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:31 AM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 12:13 AM

All replies

• Try the following: Exit Word. Then rename the Built-in Building Blocks template in your user profile. By default, you’ll find it in a subfolder of the C:\Users\YourWindowsUserNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks folder. Restart Word when you are done.

• Marked as answer by ataylor140 Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:31 AM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 12:13 AM
  • That took care of it. That was pretty easy but I never would have figured it out. Thank you sooo much.
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 2:31 AM
  • "ataylor140" wrote in message news:707b97cf-a18c-453a-812b-25ff6fcca595@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    That took care of it. That was pretty easy but I never would have figured it out. Thank you sooo much.

You are welcome.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 12:16 PM
  • This is a response to an old post. Thanks Stefan. Your fix still works in 2018. I looked everywhere to find an answer to changing page numbers. You are an MVP.

Friday, June 8, 2018 9:35 PM
  • I tried to do as you mention, but I do not have "Document Building Blocks" directory as you specified.

I did see a "Publisher Building Blocks" dir.

Note: I am using Office365.

thanks,

Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:25 PM
  • I tried to do as you mention, but I do not have "Document Building Blocks" directory as you specified.

I did see a "Publisher Building Blocks" dir.

Note: I am using Office365.

thanks,

Recent versions of Word store the built-in building blocks in the Built-In Building Blocks.dotx template. To locate the template, you can search your hard drive in File Explorer, but remember that you have to show hidden and system files first.

Saturday, August 18, 2018 2:32 PM
  • See Page numbering /header / footer problems Word 2007 - 2016

This includes Word 365.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Charles Kenyon Sunday, August 19, 2018 3:49 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2018 8:41 PM