none
Recursive DNS Query RRS feed

• Question

• After looking at the results of a nslookup > set d2 recursive query I have a question about how the query is being completed. We have a two way forest trust setup one forest in Brazil and the other in North America. When I do the nslookup for a host name on the internet it goes to my local DC for resolution (no forwarders configured only using root hints) but then goes to the DNS server in the trusted forest (Brazil) and then to a root server and then the name is resolved. I would think it would go to my local DC and if not found there it would then be forwarded to a root hints sever for resolution and once found the process would be done. So I have no idea why the query is being forwarded to the DNS servers in the trusted forest when there is no kind of forwarding setup to do that. I hope I am explaining myself correctly and any help would be fantastic because it is driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Chad Guiney

Friday, October 11, 2019 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, if you don’t configure a forwarder, you need to configure a secondary zone when you create a forest trust, is it right?

Since you query is related with forest trust, I have consulted with my colleague who is familiar with AD and she said in the trusted forest, it is a normal behavior.

If you have any concerns with AD part, you could also have this asked in AD forum.

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:23 AM
  • Hi,
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful.
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    Best regards,
    Ellen

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:21 AM