Where are .msg files checked out to? RRS feed

• Question

• When I check out .doc/.xls/.pdf files from a SharePoint document library, they are stored in my local SharePoint drafts folder. I have .msg files in my document library. When I check this type of file out, it is not stored in the same local folder. Any ideas where this file is checked out to? Does the check out serve any purpose for .msg files?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi CMCCciv,

If you are checking out a file that was created by a program that isn't compatible with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0,the Use my local drafts folder check box does not appear and you cannot work with the file offline

For more information about Check out file, please refer to: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA101535701033.aspx

Here is another way.

Plesae go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\XML, find a file called "DOCICON.XML".Open the file, change the code like the following.

<Mapping Key="msg" Value="icmsg.gif" OpenControl="SharePoint.OpenDocuments"/>

Thanks,
    Jack

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:09 AM

All replies

• Hi CMCCciv,

If you are checking out a file that was created by a program that isn't compatible with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0,the Use my local drafts folder check box does not appear and you cannot work with the file offline

For more information about Check out file, please refer to: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA101535701033.aspx

Here is another way.

Plesae go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\XML, find a file called "DOCICON.XML".Open the file, change the code like the following.

<Mapping Key="msg" Value="icmsg.gif" OpenControl="SharePoint.OpenDocuments"/>

Thanks,
    Jack

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Thank you Jack, that worked!

CMCC

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Hi CMCCcic,

If my solution is worked, please mark my reply as answer. Then other people will easily find this solution.

Thanks,

Jack

Friday, May 18, 2012 4:31 AM