the procedure entry point RtlReleasePath could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have windows 8.1 and windows server 2008 on single HDD.

My HDD have 4 partitions and tried to create a new partition using disk management utility of windows.

When i SHRINK one of the partition and created a 5th partition, my basic disk got converted to dynamic with a warning message. But without releasing the consequences of it, i opted to proceed further.

Windows 8.1 works fine.

Now the problem is, i am able to log-in to windows server but nothing comes up on screen, it just remains blank and it displays an error message before and after entering log-in password "the procedure entry point RtlReleasePath could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll"

I think that i have lost MBR information which was stored in another partition.

How can i recover that information without loosing my HDD data. Since to convert dynamic disk back to basic disk we have to delete all partitions. I don't want to format and re-install OS.

Monday, January 16, 2017 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi ishaq_mca,

According to your description, because of the pointer to it that was contained in the BCD store (boot files). I suggest that we could try use the Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

We couldn’t format hard drive without losing files. You have to move your files to some other drive before formatting.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:16 AM