none
Protecting other workloads hosted on CSVs isn’t supported. RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Yes it is supported as I noted above.

<snip>
    "You can protect other workloads like SQL or SharePoint etc workloads inside any Virtual machine at the guest level regardless of where the VM's .vhdx files are hosted."
    >snip<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Rivers75 Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:13 PM

All replies

• What does it mean ?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/dpm/get-started/what-s-supported-and-what-isn-t-for-dpm--

Data on CSVs: Issue: DPM only supports the protection of Hyper-V virtual machines on Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs). Protecting other workloads hosted on CSVs isn't supported.

Actually, we have SCDPM 2012 R2. We have some VMs using passthouh disks, not CSV (1). We want to upgrade to SCDPM 2016

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

DPM does not support backing up SQL running on CSVs

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties and confer no rights

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:58 AM
  • We have SharePoint VMs on CSV disks.... any problem ??
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:47 PM
  • You mean the SP Server is a VM and the VHD(X) is placed on a CSV?
    No, shouldn't be a problem.

SQL is only a problem when a SQL Cluster is running directly on CSVs (not nessarily Hyper-V involved)

Backup of Hyper-VMs (Host Level) with passthrough disks is not supported.

My postings are provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties and confer no rights

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, as noted we only support protecting hyper-V VM's where the .vhd(x) files are hosted on the cluster csv disk.  We do not support protecting any other data like file server or sql DB's hosted on cluster csv disk.    You can protect other workloads like SQL or SharePoint etc workloads inside any Virtual machine at the guest level regardless of where the VM's .vhdx files are hosted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:27 PM
  • We have a VM (SQL Server) that have all .vhdx disk on CSV. We have 2 protection types:

1) Microsoft Hyper-v

2) SQL Data

Is it supported ?? I think it's not supported.....

If it doesn't supported...what is the technical reason ???

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

Yes it is supported as I noted above.

<snip>
    "You can protect other workloads like SQL or SharePoint etc workloads inside any Virtual machine at the guest level regardless of where the VM's .vhdx files are hosted."
    >snip<

• Marked as answer by Rivers75 Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:13 PM