none
Project Server - Avoid / Stop Double Bookings

Question

• Hi

We currently use PS 2010 (and are evaluating PS Online) as a planning / resource scheduling tool.

We have a team of project managers all working in PS simultaneously on their own project plans and drawing from the same Enterprise Resource pool.

One of the biggest problems we have is that PS doesn't appear to have any way of restricting or blocking multiple people booking the same resource at the same time. Our standard working day is 8 hours (setup via the calendars) however there's nothing to stop a resource from being booked well beyond that capacity.

I understand we can use resource levelling within a plan to monitor and control this however this doesn't seem feasible when you have dozens of people working on completely unrelated plans (but drawing from the same resource pool) simultaneously.

This creates all sorts of issues in terms of capacity planning, forecasting etc.

I wondered if there was anything we could do to manage that within our current version of project server - or failing that by upgrading to PS Online.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:16 AM

Answers

• I do understand your concern.

The best option you'll have in Project Server and Project Online without doing development in MS Project with some VBA would be to use the overallocation indicators, for exemple in the resource usage view. Still it won't be a technical contraint preventing overallocation but it will give an immediate warning to the project manager that the resource is overallocated on his project or on other projects on the server.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by ADT-Miller Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Indeed Project Server does not prevent project managers overallocating resources. I would say that neither Project Online. Project Online has a feature (resource engagement) which facilitates the process of resource request and approval between project managers and resource managers, but still does not prevent from overallocating resources.

That being said, the tool, whatever it is, cannot support on its own the resource and capacity management process in your organization. You should have a process in place, maybe inspired by the PMBoK or any other standard and the tool will support and facilitate this process. For example, having a weekly project allocation review with resource managers to decide high level allocations on projects and then cascade it down to project manager so they know resources available for their projects.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:50 AM
  • Thanks for your speedy reply.

We do try and impose those standards using PMBok and planning meetings however people have a tendency to fall off the band waggon and back into BAU so I was hoping there was going to be some way of enforcing the restriction via project server.

I'm really surprised there is no option to turn on such a feature - the mop up that goes on as a result of double booking can be an admin headache....and because our sales forecast is based on project server bookings, it is directly effected by project managers who continually book resource when it is not really available.

We want the project managers to continue to take ownership of resource allocation - it is too much of a task to expect one person to manage that function across all projects & resources, but need to impose system rules that stop this problem occurring.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:29 PM
  • I do understand your concern.

The best option you'll have in Project Server and Project Online without doing development in MS Project with some VBA would be to use the overallocation indicators, for exemple in the resource usage view. Still it won't be a technical contraint preventing overallocation but it will give an immediate warning to the project manager that the resource is overallocated on his project or on other projects on the server.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by ADT-Miller Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:49 PM