none
Sharepoint 2007 Restore Sitecollection with DPM2010, based on an customised template with content RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created an sitecollection based on a document workspace (STS#2). It contains some lists, some libraries, and in these libraries a lot of small documents. word/excel/pdf etc
    I made an template of this site, and saved it including the content. via stsadm I uploaded the template, so now it is available for creation of sitecollections.

So when an new site is created, and it is based on this template (_GLOBAL_#1), it already has a basic set of documents and lists with items.

Sofar nothing special, all basic Sharepoint.

Restoring a sitecollection
    When we have a problem with an sitecollection, and we decide the best solution is to restore the complete sitecollection DPM has some ground rules:

• Delete the sitecollection.
    • Create a new sitecollection with the same name based on the same template
    • restore the sitecollection from the backup
    • problem solved :)

But......

A sitecollection is a living thing, in time it grows/changes some files are deleted etc.

When I create a new sitecollection based on the same template it has the original content. A lot of this content is a kind of template, so in time these files / templates are deleted in the sitecollection which must be restored.

We noticed, when restoring a sitecollection by using DPM all the files which are deleted in the backup are re-appearing in the sitecollection, since it was created based on a template with content.

How can we restore a sitecollection from the backup and get exactly the same sitecollection as it is in the backup??
    not with additional content/libraries etc.

Has anyone got a solution for this, because now after the restore we have to delete a lot of files and libraries, which is a hell of job.

grt Manfred

Manfred
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:37 AM

Answers

• We have done some additional testing.

And found a solution.

As I described our problem is that a sitecollection is based on template with Content

@Chris: A sitecollection must always be based on a template.

The original site collection (without content) is based on the template "document workspace".
    I have added some content, and saved his sitecollection as a new Template "My Own Template".

All the new SiteCollections are based on the new template "My Own Template". 

Since it is a requirement to create a sitecollection based on a template, I now tested what happens when I create the sitecollection, needed for the restore, based on the original template "document workspace".

the original template does not contain any content.

after re-creation I started the restore from DPM and it works!!

Problem is solved

Manfred
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:43 PM

All replies

• Forgive my lack of SharePoint knowledge, so if this is a bad idea, I'm sorry in advance.  Can you just create the sitecollection by itself with only the name and then let DPM restore all of the libraries and files from the backup?  In other words, just recreate the top level sitecollection by name as a container for DPM to restore to.
    Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:12 PM
  • We have done some additional testing.

And found a solution.

As I described our problem is that a sitecollection is based on template with Content

@Chris: A sitecollection must always be based on a template.

The original site collection (without content) is based on the template "document workspace".
    I have added some content, and saved his sitecollection as a new Template "My Own Template".

All the new SiteCollections are based on the new template "My Own Template". 

Since it is a requirement to create a sitecollection based on a template, I now tested what happens when I create the sitecollection, needed for the restore, based on the original template "document workspace".

the original template does not contain any content.

after re-creation I started the restore from DPM and it works!!

Problem is solved

Manfred
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:43 PM